Wedding folklore says that the bride stands on the left side of the groom during the marriage ceremony to allow his sword arm to be free and ready to fight off other men who may want her as a bride. Here's a modern-style handmade card, a salute to the art of courtly love still alive in our world today.
- Strathmore Creative Cards blank card & envelope
- Black paper
- 3.5x2.25 Decorative black paper (Mary Engelbreit)
- Small scraps of coordinating pink print paper (three patterns)
- 4x6 sheet Treasure Tape sheet
- Diamond Beadlets
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon in color 042
- Kreinik Tapestry #12 Braid in color 031 Crimson
- Punch-1 9/16" stamp shape, McGill Craftivity, 3/4" square, Punch Bunch
- Pencil, scissors, glue stick
- Peel back the white liner on your Treasure Tape sheet. Place your scrolled paper rectangle, decorated-side-down, on the tape. Cut out the paper. Adhere your scrolled paper to your card, taped side up.
- Cut a strip of black paper that is 1 1/4" by 4 1/4". Using the square punch, carefully punch three squares from the center of the strip, 1/8" apart and leaving about 1/2" on each end. Use the stamp punch to make a toothed edge on each end of the strip.
- Cut three pieces of coordinating pink paper, just slightly larger than the 1" punched squares in your strip. Apply a little glue to the back of your black strip, and center the three pink squares so that they will show through the three punched holes. Apply a strip of Treasure Tape, about the same height and slightly shorter in width than your black strip, across the back for stability.
- Peel back the red liner from your scrolled paper on the card and lay down a border around the edge using your 042 Ribbon. Peel the liner from the tape on your black frame strip, and center it over your scrolled paper. Press firmly to adhere. Use your liner to cover the top strip of exposed tape.
- Using your #12 braid, write your message in the lower tape space. Use a piece of liner to protect the tape and press all the threads firmly.
- Cut a small heart from your Treasure Tape sheet, and adhere it to the center square. Peel back the liner and outline the heart with your #12 braid.
- Remove all pieces of liner and place your card into a shallow tray or in a small ziploc bag. Pour beadlets over the exposed tape areas. Tap to remove excess beadlets.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.