This fun project allows you to decorate a plain vest with an iron-on design and treasure tape. It's easy and looks great.
- Heart Fabric by Linda Stubbs for Fabrics by Spectrix ©2005 Peace Creek Collections™
- Kreinik Iron-On Threads: 1/8" Ribbon in 6300 Meadow; #16 Braid in 6010 Pearl, 6130 Red; #8 Braid in 6300 Meadow
- 8x10 Sheet of Treasure Tape (or fusible interfacing)
- Jean Jacket or Vest
- Make sure the vest is clean and dry before beginning.
- Turn your iron onto the highest heat setting and allow it to heat thoroughly.
- Cut out your fabric square. Leave about 1" of border around the outside of the print. Use your iron to fold and press the extra fabric around to the back.
- Use Treasure Tape to attach your fabric to your vest or jacket. Cut the tape slightly smaller than your fabric square. Peel back the white liner and apply the tape to the back of your fabric. Smooth out any air bubbles with your fingers. Peel back the red liner and center your fabric on your vest. Press firmly to adhere. Iron over your design to heat-set the bond.
- Begin embellishing. We used Meadow ribbon on the green parts of the border and Pearl braid in the corners and around the outside wavy border; Red braid on the heart; and Meadow braid on the wavy border and in a loop design around the heart. Lay your iron-on thread at a starting point, cover with the Teflon Press Cloth, and tack down with your iron. Press the thread in sections, ironing for 3 to 5 seconds to make sure the thread adheres.
- When finished, clip the thread and begin with another color in your next area.
Tip: Wearables get a lot of, well, wear, so if the thread starts to pop off, simply re-press with a hot iron.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.