Add a bit of color to your wardrobe with a Tulip Custom Dye Kit from I Love to Create. In seven easy steps you can have this great top to wear out.
- Tulip® Custom Dye Color Kit™
- Tulip® Craft Gloves™
- Tulip® Surface Cover™
- Container – plastic – 2 gallon
- Spoon – large – extra-long handle
- Rubber bands
- Tank top – white – 100% cotton or natural fibers
- Cover work surface with Dye Surface Cover™. Set plastic container on covered surface and wearing Craft Gloves™, follow booklet instructions to create Bubblegum dye (or desired color).
- Prewash tank top to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
- Lay top out flat on work surface. Pull up one of the shoulder straps about 2” and wrap a rubber band tightly around strap. Move down about 1” and wrap another rubber band around fabric. Repeat step for other strap.
- Wrap a rubber band around bottom of top, about 2” up from bottom hem.
- Mix dye Wearing rubber gloves, mix 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of hot water (equivalent to hot coffee, around 170° - 190° F (77° - 88° C) but not boiling), dye and pour 3 tablespoons salt for each dye mixture. See charts for different dye color formulas and combinations. The dye mixture should be sufficient to dye up to 1/2 pound (22 grams) of fabric, equivalent to a large men's T-shirt.
- Immerse fabric into dye mixture. Stir continuously for the first 15 minutes, then occasionally every 5-10 minutes for the next 45 minutes. Total time will be one hour.
- Fill washer to "large load" setting with hottest water suitable for fabric and a small amount of laundry soap. Wash and dry separately. Wash separately the first few times. Do not allow dyed fabric to rest wet on other items.