With acrylic paint and stucco texture gel you can create this 3D looking half-ball wall art. It's sure to be a masterpiece and one for conversation.
For more great wall decorating designs, check out 19 Cool Wall Art and Decor Ideas.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: three 3"; four 2-1/2"; seven 2"; two 1"
- Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1
- Colonial blue acrylic craft paint
- Fine-gauge craft wire
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden skewers
- Pre-mixed ceramic stucco texture gel, 4 oz. jar; or, lightweight
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Putty knife, 1"
- Disposable palette
- Disposable bowl
- Thin rubber spatula
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Wire cutters
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Empty entire jar of texture gel into bowl, or measure out ½ C. lightweight spackling; add paint a bit at a time until pleased with color. Cover bowl with damp paper towel.
- Using putty knife, spread thin, even coat of texture gel onto edges of foam sheet. Cover top of sheet in same way. Let dry completely.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut all foam balls in half; set aside one 2-1/2" half-ball for future use. Gently roll half-ball edges on work surface to smooth.
- Insert skewers into flat sides of half-balls. Holding skewer, use flat brush to spread thin, even coat of texture gel onto rounded side of each half-ball. Place skewers in glass or jar to dry.
- Refer to photo to glue half-balls to foam sheet.
- Use flat brush to spread thin, even coat of texture gel around base of each half-ball where it meets foam sheet; smooth joints well. Note: Dip tip of brush into clean water occasionally to keep wet texture gel from clumping on dry surface. Let dry completely.
- Cut two 3" lengths from wire; twist ends together to form hanging loops. Glue wire ends into top back edge of foam sheet.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.