Quick, easy scrap fabric crafts are perfect for anyone who is short of time. Use decorative embellishments and personalized sentiments to add an inspiration touch to your Scrap Fabric Burlap Bags by Melony Bradley. Be sure to tuck in notes, gifts and special keepsakes.
- Canvas fabric
- Paint brush
- Heart die
- Sewing machine
- Fabric glue
- To make these simple bags, start by cutting a strip of canvas to approximately 3" X 9." Cut another small piece of canvas to 4" X 6."
- With a paint brush, paint the canvas using the Lumiere and Neopaque paints. I opted for a red with white dots, created by using the end of the paint brush.
- When the pieces are dry, roll the ends into the middle of the long strip to create the cuff and press with a steam iron. Die cut a heart from the other piece.
- To hold the fold in place, I used a sewing machine to straight stitch the center together.
- To create a second pattern with the paints, paint swatches of color on the canvas and let dry. Then use the lid of a coke bottle to stamp rings on top. Again, use the end of a paintbrush to create dots.
- To create the bag, cut two 7-1/2' X 9" rectangles from the burlap. Sew the heart or bird die cut to the center of one of the rectangles. Use alphabet stamps for a sweet sentiment, stamped to the front side of fused muslin.
- Fuse the sentiment to the bag with an iron. Then use a sewing machine and contrasting thread to sew the edges in place with a straight stitch. For an extra scrappy look, let the ends of the sewn thread hang down a little, instead of trimming them off. This gives your journaled bag extra homespun flair.
- These fun and sparkly embellishments purchased from Scrapbook.com give the bags a little extra touch.
- Secure the cuff to the top of the sewn bag (sew right sides together and turn inside out) bag with strong fabric glue. If needed, secure the ends with straight pins while drying.