Cosmic Orange Magnet
By: Kelly Yzaguirre and Jeanne Baruth for Diamond Tech
This cosmic orange magnet from Diamond Tech is the perfect "out of this world" accessory for your fridge! It makes a great gift and a unique decoration for any kitchen.
- 1 piece Fuseworks™ Clear Sheet Glass
- Fuseworks™ Milliefiori slices
- Fuseworks™ Dichroic small scraps, frit and/or confetti
- Fuseworks™ Kiln Paper
- Fuseworks™ Microwave Kiln
- E6000® or other glass glue
- Fuseworks™ Glass Cutter
- Microwave - 1100 Watt
- Using a glass cutter, cut a 1” X 1 1/2”piece of clear sheet glass.
- Cut a 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks™ Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base. Kiln paper should only be used for one firing.
- Place the 1” X 1 1/2” clear glass on the kiln paper. Sprinkle with frit and small bits of confetti, leaving some of the clear glass showing. Randomly place several small pieces of scrap dichroic on top as the final layer.
- Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave. Cover kiln base and glass with kiln lid.
- Fuse* at 70% power for 2 minutes. Change the power to 100% and fuse at 1 minute 40 seconds. *Every microwave oven and kiln will vary. You will need to test and log what time will be suited for your combination. After time is up, open microwave and, using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 30 second increments until desired results are achieved. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln on a heat resistant surface for at least 40 minutes with the lid on. Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and should be handled with great caution.
- Cool your glass and kiln completely, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- After your pieces are completely cooled, adhere a magnet to the back of the fused piece using a glass adhesive such as E6000®. Allow the adhesive to dry according to glue manufacturer direction.
- Never throw away your small scraps of fusing glass, use scraps to embellish other fused glass projects.
- For better visability, store scraps in a clear container.
- Use tweezers to pick up scraps and glass pieces.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!