Thanksgiving Indian and Pilgrim Table Toppers
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Invite these cute early Americans to your Thanksgiving table. This simple Thanksgiving craft is a great activity for kids. Teach young crafters about the history of Thanksgiving with these Thanksgiving Indians and Pilgrims Table Toppers.
DecoArt Products Required
- DAO62 - Terra Cotta
- DAO67 - Lamp (Ebony) Black
- DAO79 - Brandy Wine
- DA201 - Primary Yellow
- DA259 - Cocoa
- DAW19 - Christmas Red
- DAW67 - Black
- DAW230 - Christmas Green
- DAW234 - Calypso Blue
Americana Spray Sealers
- DAS12 - Americana Gloss Spray
- Foam plate
- Paper towels
- 1" flat brush
- 1/4" flat brush
- 1 3/4" round foam pouncer brush
- Black yarn (We used Lion brand boucle.)
- Five 7" craft feathers, one each of yellow, red, blue, green, and black
- Lo-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Three papier mache round boxes (8" high, 8" across lid; 3" high, 7" across lid; 5" high, 5" across lid)
INDIAN TABLE TOPPER
Remove any price labels from papier mache pieces before painting.
1. Refer to photo and draw 2" band around bottom of 8' box. Use Cocoa to paint above line on upper portion of box.
2. Use Terra Cotta to paint below line on 8" box and on top of 8" lid, 7" box and lid, and 5" box.
3. Use Primary Yellow to paint sides of 8" and 5" box lids.
4. Use Lamp Black to paint top of 5" box lid.
5. Squeeze small amount of Brandy Wine onto foam plate. Dip pouncer brush into paint; press and twist in place on front of 5" box for cheeks.
6. Use 1/4" brush and Cocoa to paint lines for fringe below Cocoa area of 8" box.
7. Use all four Americana Acrylic Dimensional Writers to paint dots for beads at top of fringe. (We painted one black dot between each fringe section at top, then alternated remaining colors and painted two dots of each color over top of each fringe section.)
8. Referring to photo for placement, alternate colors when painting designs on Primary Yellow lid bands for waistband and headband. Use Christmas Red Writer to paint zigzag lines. Use Calypso Blue Writer to paint wavy lines. Use Christmas Green Writer to paint dotted lines.
9. Use Christmas Red Writer to paint mouth on 5" box, with ends of mouth over cheeks. Use Black Writer to paint ovals for eyes.
10. Glue rims of 7" and 8" box inside matching lids. Center and glue 7" box over 8" box.
11. Center 5" box over 7" lid. Refer to photo for placement and use pencil to draw curved line for necklace, with ends going under where 5" box will be and curve going over lid onto front of box. Remove 5" box. Use Black Writer to paint over pencil line; allow paint to dry. Referring to photo, use Christmas Green Writer to paint four lines across black line; paint three shorter lines with White between Christmas Green lines. Use Christmas Red and Calypso Blue Writers to paint dots for beads on necklace. Allow all paint to dry thoroughly.
12. Center and glue 5" box base over 7" box.
13. Spray Indian shape and 5" box lid with Americana Gloss Spray and allow to dry.
14. Cut 21 28" lengths of yarn for hair. Center yarn lengths over 5" box; glue yarn lengths to rims of box. Place dots of glue inside band of box lid and place box lid over yarn and box to secure. Trim hair to even lengths.
15. Glue feather quills to band at back of box lid.
PILGRIM TABLE TOPPER
Remove any price labels from paper mache pieces before painting.
1. Refer to photo and draw line 2" from bottom of 7" box; draw narrow triangle over 2 band at front to form collar shape.
2. Use Snow White to paint collar area and base of 7" box.
3. Use Milk Chocolate to paint bottom section of 7" box for shirt, 7" lid for hat rim, and 5" box (not lid).
4. Use Lamp Black to paint lid of 5" box.
5. Use Base Flesh to paint 6" box and lid.
6. Squeeze small amount of Melon onto foam plate. Dip pouncer brush into paint; press and twist in place on front of 6" box for cheeks.
7. Use Dazzling Metallics Gold Writer to paint rectangle buckle on hat band and dots for buttons.
8. Use Americana Acrylics Black Writer to paint tie.
9. Use Christmas Red Writer to paint mouth.
10. Use Calypso Blue Writer to paint large ovals for eyes.
11. Glue rim of 5" box inside 5" lid. Center and glue top of 5" box to top of 7" lid. Glue rim of 6" box inside 6" lid. Center and glue base of 6" box over base of 7" box. Center and glue inside of 7" box lid over 6" box to complete pilgrim shape.
12. Spray pilgrim with Americana Gloss Spray and allow to dry.
13. For bangs, cut 14 3" pieces of yarn; glue one end of each inside front rim of hat rim. Cut 50 5" lengths of yarn and continue gluing them around hat rim. Refer to photo and trim hair to shape.
HELPFUL HINT: Allow paint to dry after each coat. Hair dryer on low setting can be used to speed drying process. Let dry between steps.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 268 Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids and Adults
- Easy Turkey Napkin Rings
- Rustic Thanksgiving Table Runner
- Thanksgiving Menu Tote Bag
- 12 Thanksgiving Craft Centerpieces + 4 New Ideas
- "9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make" eBook
- 16 Turkey Crafts for Thanksgiving
- 12 Homemade Thanksgiving Crafts for Your Turkey Day
- DIY Crochet Turkey Dishcloth
- Make a Thanksgiving Cornucopia
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More