Native American Wobbler
By: Daniel Boone for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A pat on the back is all it takes to make this playful Native American teeter and totter on his bottom.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- 12" x 4" cone, one
- 4" ball, one
- Clear glass marbles
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets: tan, two; flesh; white; black; brown, one each
- Polyester fiberfill
- Chenille stems: white, one; black, two
- 1/2" to 3/4" wiggle eyes, two
- Fine-gauge spool wire
- Dimensional fabric paints: black; assorted colors to embellish headband and robe
- Acrylic paints: pink; tan (optional)
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Metal tablespoon
- Extra-long straight pins
- Large-eye sewing needle
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wire cutters
- Needlenose pliers
- Awl or ice pick
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Paper towels
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Press opposite sides of foam ball on a hard surface to flatten slightly. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin and cut ball in half.
- Refer to diagram to cut top 4" from foam cone. Mark a line around cone 5" from base. Indent cone on line by pressing foam onto square edge of a counter or table. Note: This will become the neck.
- Refer to diagram to hollow out lower 5" of cone and one half ball by scooping out foam with a tablespoon. Leave approx. 1/4" to 1/2" outer shell intact, working carefully to avoid cracking foam. If desired, paint bottom 1" of cone and half ball tan to match robe.
- Cut white chenille stem in half. Using pattern, cut two hands from flesh felt. Glue hands to matching felt, sandwiching a chenille stem between layers. Let dry and then cut out hands, cutting around original shapes.
- Cut out remaining patterns as indicated. Also cut one 12" x 4" strip from flesh felt for head, one 12" x 4" strip from black felt for hair, and one 12" x 3/4" strip from tan felt for headband.
- Glue a white tip to top of each brown feather, overlapping pieces approximately 1/8". Glue a black chenille stem vertically to center front of each assembled feather, letting it extend slightly at bottom.
- Gather felt nose close to edge, stuffing firmly with excess flesh felt before closing. To gather felt throughout, use a large-eye needle with fine-gauge wire and hand sew gathering stitches where indicated. Gather felt on wire and then twist wires together to secure. Trim excess wire.
- Glue nose to center of 12" x 4" head. Paint pink round cheeks on either side of nose. Draw a curved smile with black dimensional paint between cheeks. Allow to dry. Overlap sides of head 1/4" as indicated on pattern with facial features to inside and glue to form a tube. Turn.
- Overlap one side of felt robes 1/4" and glue to form one long piece. Fold each sleeve and glue where indicated on pattern. Fringe bottom of robe and each sleeve, cutting slits approximately 1/4" apart. Squeeze dots of assorted dimensional paints side by side to create a beaded zigzag pattern on headband and necklace on top front of robe (see photo). Allow to dry.
- Following pattern, glue sides of robe to form tube with painted pattern to inside. Turn.
- Insert a chenille stem arm into each sleeve with wide end overlapping hand slightly. Gather each sleeve around arm 1/4" from top.
- Place head on cone with bottom of felt 1/4" below indented neck. Gather head around neck. Place robe on cone with top edge overlapping bottom of head and painted necklace centered below face. Gather robe around neck.
- Stuff head with fiberfill between foam and felt to give it a round appearance. Gather head 1/4" from top around cone.
- Use an awl or ice pick to form tiny holes in robe and foam body at shoulders to attach arms. Glue arms into holes with fringe at bottom.
- Fringe 12" x 4" black hair strip, cutting deep slits approximately 1/4" apart across entire length. Cut a circle from remaining black felt to cover top of head. Glue fringed hair around top of head and then circle on top, trimming each as necessary.
- Glue headband to head, overlapping ends at center back. Glue base of feathers to top back of head, tucking ends under headband.
- Turn cone body on end and weight hollow area with glass marbles. Align hollow half ball on bottom of cone with flat sides together and pin in place temporarily. Test figure's rocking motion, adding or subtracting marbles as necessary. When satisfied, remove pins and glue ball to cone permanently.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- "24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects" eBook
- "Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes" eBook
- "9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make" eBook
- 268 Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids and Adults
- Fall Leaf Placemats
- "Thanksgiving Crafts" eBook
- 12 Thanksgiving Craft Centerpieces + 4 New Ideas
- Crocheted Thanksgiving Turkey Wreath
- Thanksgiving Turkey Pinata
- Turkey Table Accents
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Minion Key Charms
- Adorable Crochet Coaster
- Glow in the Dark Table Tutorial
- Convertible Cowl Knitting Pattern
- Painted Apple Mason Jar Craft
- Cotton Candy Baby Hat Crochet Pattern
- After School Snack Painted Wooden Caddy
- Mouse Baby Hat Crochet Pattern
- Snowman Hat Crochet Pattern
- Pumpkin Baby Hat Crochet Pattern