Native American Wobbler
By: Daniel Boone for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A pat on the back is all it takes to make this playful Native American teeter and totter on his bottom.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- 12" x 4" cone, one
- 4" ball, one
- Clear glass marbles
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets: tan, two; flesh; white; black; brown, one each
- Polyester fiberfill
- Chenille stems: white, one; black, two
- 1/2" to 3/4" wiggle eyes, two
- Fine-gauge spool wire
- Dimensional fabric paints: black; assorted colors to embellish headband and robe
- Acrylic paints: pink; tan (optional)
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Metal tablespoon
- Extra-long straight pins
- Large-eye sewing needle
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wire cutters
- Needlenose pliers
- Awl or ice pick
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Paper towels
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Press opposite sides of foam ball on a hard surface to flatten slightly. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin and cut ball in half.
- Refer to diagram to cut top 4" from foam cone. Mark a line around cone 5" from base. Indent cone on line by pressing foam onto square edge of a counter or table. Note: This will become the neck.
- Refer to diagram to hollow out lower 5" of cone and one half ball by scooping out foam with a tablespoon. Leave approx. 1/4" to 1/2" outer shell intact, working carefully to avoid cracking foam. If desired, paint bottom 1" of cone and half ball tan to match robe.
- Cut white chenille stem in half. Using pattern, cut two hands from flesh felt. Glue hands to matching felt, sandwiching a chenille stem between layers. Let dry and then cut out hands, cutting around original shapes.
- Cut out remaining patterns as indicated. Also cut one 12" x 4" strip from flesh felt for head, one 12" x 4" strip from black felt for hair, and one 12" x 3/4" strip from tan felt for headband.
- Glue a white tip to top of each brown feather, overlapping pieces approximately 1/8". Glue a black chenille stem vertically to center front of each assembled feather, letting it extend slightly at bottom.
- Gather felt nose close to edge, stuffing firmly with excess flesh felt before closing. To gather felt throughout, use a large-eye needle with fine-gauge wire and hand sew gathering stitches where indicated. Gather felt on wire and then twist wires together to secure. Trim excess wire.
- Glue nose to center of 12" x 4" head. Paint pink round cheeks on either side of nose. Draw a curved smile with black dimensional paint between cheeks. Allow to dry. Overlap sides of head 1/4" as indicated on pattern with facial features to inside and glue to form a tube. Turn.
- Overlap one side of felt robes 1/4" and glue to form one long piece. Fold each sleeve and glue where indicated on pattern. Fringe bottom of robe and each sleeve, cutting slits approximately 1/4" apart. Squeeze dots of assorted dimensional paints side by side to create a beaded zigzag pattern on headband and necklace on top front of robe (see photo). Allow to dry.
- Following pattern, glue sides of robe to form tube with painted pattern to inside. Turn.
- Insert a chenille stem arm into each sleeve with wide end overlapping hand slightly. Gather each sleeve around arm 1/4" from top.
- Place head on cone with bottom of felt 1/4" below indented neck. Gather head around neck. Place robe on cone with top edge overlapping bottom of head and painted necklace centered below face. Gather robe around neck.
- Stuff head with fiberfill between foam and felt to give it a round appearance. Gather head 1/4" from top around cone.
- Use an awl or ice pick to form tiny holes in robe and foam body at shoulders to attach arms. Glue arms into holes with fringe at bottom.
- Fringe 12" x 4" black hair strip, cutting deep slits approximately 1/4" apart across entire length. Cut a circle from remaining black felt to cover top of head. Glue fringed hair around top of head and then circle on top, trimming each as necessary.
- Glue headband to head, overlapping ends at center back. Glue base of feathers to top back of head, tucking ends under headband.
- Turn cone body on end and weight hollow area with glass marbles. Align hollow half ball on bottom of cone with flat sides together and pin in place temporarily. Test figure's rocking motion, adding or subtracting marbles as necessary. When satisfied, remove pins and glue ball to cone permanently.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Awesome DIY Crochet Pumpkins
- 10 Easy Thanksgiving Crafts for Adults Free eBook
- "9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make" eBook
- Pretty Stenciled Disc Coasters
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects free eBook
- Sparkle and Shine Pumpkins
- "Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes" eBook
- Candy and Cookie Turkeys
- Crocheted Thanksgiving Turkey Wreath
- DIY Crochet Turkey Dishcloth
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Purple Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Printable Quote Coloring Sheet
- Imp Hair Hat
- V-Stitch Hats For All
- Celtic Passion Beanie
- Bright and Colorful Loom Knit Hat
- Super Bulky Oversized Messy Bun Hat
- Seashore Messy Bun Hat
- Heart Quartet Mandala Coloring Page
- Short n Sassy Messy Bun Hat