Working with Waterbrushes
By: Maria Nerius
Learn how to create some beautiful watercolor art with our waterbrush tutorial. They are so easy to use and even easier to clean and store!
- Waterbrush filled with water
- Watercolors, watercolor pencils or water-based markers
- Palette or non-porous work area
- Watercolor paper or any paper that can hold up to water
Step by Step
- Take off brush cap and unscrew the brush portion from the tube that holds the water.
- Squeeze barrel; submerge it into a cup of water or fill directly under faucet. Screw the water holder back into the brush portion.
- Take off the cap, point the brush tip down and gently squeeze barrel marked "push" to release water and it's ready to use!
- Remember not to squeeze it too forcefully or water will spurt out!
- Brush can be used with water-based markers. You can grab color from the marker tip or place marker “ink” down onto a palette.
- Or brush can be used with traditional watercolor paints. Dip brush onto watercolor and use “full” strength or create puddles of color on a palette.
- Or Brush can be used with watercolor pencils. Grab color directly from the pencil tip or create puddles of color on a palette.
- Stroke watercolor onto paper. Watercolor works best wet on wet. Apply wet color over a dry paint will leave a watermark.
- If storing for a long period, empty the barrel and allow all parts of your waterbrush to dry completely.
- This type of brush is easily portable and easy to clean. Squeeze gently over paper towel or wipe onto a paper towel to clean.
- You can also use the brush with bleach and extenders, however, clean brush thoroughly when done. Bleach technique removes color from paint or paper and extenders help you blend oil pencils. Extenders help lengthen the “open” time a paint or ink.
- Not all waterbrushes are the same. Different tips (round and flat) are available in different sizes. You should also note that not all waterbrushes have a holding chamber for the water. If a brush doesn’t have the holding chamber the water flows out of the brush much faster!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!