Learn how to use 3D painting techniques to enhance the look of your craft project and make it come to life. Dimensional paint comes in a bottle and can be used like a pencil or paintbrush. Grab some and try out step-by-step tutorial today!
- Dimensional Paint is formulated to keep it’s thickness and shape providing a 3-D effect rather than acting like a typical paint that is flat and follows the form of the surface it is brushed or sprayed onto or behaving like markers and pens. You can draw, outline, write and embellish with dimensional paint. Tips vary, but dimensional paint comes in a bottle with tip that can be held like a pencil in your hand.
Step by Step
- Always practice on scrap paper or surface you are going to add the dimensional paint to, so you can get a feel of how the tip and surface work together.
- Don’t shake the bottle. You don’t want to add any air bubbles to the paint. Tap paint down to tip gently.
- Hold bottle upright with tip down just as you would a pen or pencil. Allow tip to lightly touch the surface to be painted. Gently squeeze and begin to draw or write onto the surface.
- Lift tip away from surface before letting go of your hold. If you stop squeezing, you may let air bubbles into the tip and bottle. You may want to wipe tip clean between drawing lines.
- Paint should be allowed to dry for 12-24 hours to completely set.
- Dimensional paint can be used as an adhesive. Apply a dot of paint to adhere buttons, paper roses and other embellishments.
- A fine metal tip is available to get a very fine line of paint. The metal tip is placed onto the bottle’s plastic tip and pressed firmly onto it.
- Dimensional paints vary manufacturer to manufacturer. Some dimensional paints dry tacky while others dry hard. Experiment to see which is best for your projects.
- Dimensional paints bond to many surfaces including paper, fabric, and wood. Always read packaging and labeling to see what the dimensional paint will bond to and if it needs to be heat set.
- A wide variety of colors and effects are available. Some paints are ultra glossy while others are metallic. Check out the variety available.
- Always securely cap your bottle of paint after each use and clean any additional tips you may have used. If some paint does dry in the tip use a fine needle to unclog.
- For thicker lines of paint, hold the bottle at a slight angle to the surface, this allows more paint to flow and the result is a thicker line.