By: Maria Nerius
Mica puts the sparkle in paints, chalks and even make-up. It’s a natural transparent material used by many paper and collage artists.
- Mica is a strata of mineral mined for various uses from electrical insulators to cosmetics. Its organic quality, beauty, heat resistance, and diverse color selection make it an ideal art material.
- Mica can be found as flakes, granules, powders and tiles.
- In tile form, mica has many, many layers in each piece, which can be torn, cut and even trimmed with fancy-edged paper trimmers.
- Mica tiles can be used as “windows” in designs and can be stamped and embossed.
- Mica is non-toxic, acid free, lightfast and heat resistant.
- Mica tiles are heat resistant to 1700 degrees, making them especially suitable to embossing, kiln and heat-set techniques and materials.
- You can delaminating mica by splitting it (just take a finger nail to any edge) and relaminated by reassembling it with various flat objects in between the layers.
- Although it is easy to split, mica is a very strong material. It does come in various shades of clear including mica with a hint of pink, blue and green.
- Add subtle and sophisticated glimmer, or just a dash of glitz to interior designs, watercolor, collage paintings and rubberstamping by mixing the mediums with powdered mica.
- Mica is an ingredient in products like Faire Dust, Sparkling H20 & Pearl-Ex. Other uses include dimensional additions to embossing powders, paper making, polymer clay inclusions, scrapbooking, altered art, altered books, and greeting cards.
- Place pressed flowers, photos, small tickets, wrappers or other memorabilia between sheets of delaminated mica.
- Most glues will bond mica, which is a porous surface.
- Mica can be painted, inked, stamped, sponged, distressed, and enameled. You can color mica with inks that are alcohol based.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts