If you have an old pair of kids shoes lying around the house, instead of throwing them away, find material to make shoes with this Fabric Covered Shoe Tutorial from Victoria Lavertu. Take an old pair of white shoes and remodel them into a new and fashionable pair your daughter will love to wear!
- A pair of worn out shoes (works best with flats or a simple Mary Jane style shoe)
- Sturdy fabric
- Hot Glue Gun
- Ribbons, button, embellishments of your choice
- With a seam ripper, remove back shoe tabs (or any bows, etc that may be in the way).
- Place the shoes on the fabric to measure out enough to cover each shoe. Use a fabric pen or pencil to draw around shoe.
- Cut around marked areas (be sure there is plenty of fabric to completely cover shoe).
- Cut a slit from the back of the shoe to near the top of the shoe.
- Starting at the top of the shoe, along the edge, add a small line of hot glue.
- Continue along the top of shoe and around both sides.
- As you make your way to the back of the shoe, remember to pull snugly on the fabric as you glue along the bottom edge.
- Once you get to the back, glue the one flap straight up along the back seam of the shoe.
- Trim any excess, then with the second flap, trim again, but fold the piece over so there is no raw edge when you glue the flap down. Remember, you are pulling the fabric tight to avoid any bubbles or wrinkles along the shoe.
- Now trim the top loose fabric so there’s about ½ to ¾ of an inch all around the top edge.
- Make ½ inch cuts all along the edge.
- Start gluing down the top edge now. Do little by little so you don’t burn your fingers and you can still pull the fabric tightly along the top.
- Now you can trim off all the excess fabric along both the top and bottom edge using small scissors or an exacto knife. Repeat this same process for the other shoe.
- Now you can embellish away. Add ribbon along the bottom edge, inside top edge and on the strap. Attach it with hot glue gun.
- Fray check to any raw edges that could fray.You can also add a fabric flower to each shoe to add to the cuteness factor, since they are for little girls.