This beautiful garden tote comes to us as a guest project from Dorinda at Flower Girl Designs Collection.
I love to garden and I needed a tote to carry my gardening supplies. I started this pattern a few months ago, when I started thinking about Spring and I just finished it. I think this would be a great Mother's Day gift for the mom that loves to garden. You could also fill it up with some gardening supplies. It is fun and easy to sew. Enjoy!
Finished size approximately 12 ½”h x 12 ½”w
½ - yard outside fabric
½ - yard lining fabric (durable canvas fabric)
7/8-yard pocket & strap fabric (2 different colors optional)
½ -yard fusible fleece
All purpose thread to match fabric
Scissors & Rotary Cutter
Cutting Fabric for Garden Tote:
Cut 2– 15” x 15” outside tote fabric
Cut 2- 15” x 15” lining tote fabric
Cut 2- 9” x 15” pocket fabric
Cut 2- 10” x 15” pocket fabric
Cut 2- 7” x 15” pocket fabric
Cut 2-4” x 20” strips for straps
Cut 2- 15” x 15” fusible fleece
Read through entire pattern before starting to sew.
Remove all pins before sewing over them.
All seams are a ¼”.
Garden Tote- Fusible Fleece- Corners & Pockets:
- Iron on fusible fleece to the 2 -15” x 15” outside tote fabric cuts, following manufactures directions.
- Cut out a 2” x 2” square out of each corner on one side of outside fabric cuts.
- Take the 2- 9” x 15” pocket cuts.
- Place them right sides together and sew a seam on a 15” side.
- Fold right sides out, press and topstitch the seam.
- Place raw edges up and 12” down from the top of the bag. The 2” x 2” square cut will now be under the pocket.
- Pin in place and sew.
- Fold pocket up, press and topstitch the bottom seam.
- Fold the cut in half to find the middle and sew a straight stitch down the middle, back stitching at the top to make it more secure.
- Take the 2- 10” x 15” pocket cuts, for the other side of the tote.
- Place right sides together and sew a seam on a 15” side. Turn right sides out, press and topstitch the seam.
- Place the pocket raw edges up and 11” down from the top of the other tote fabric cut. Pin in place, sew, fold up pocket and topstitch the seam.
- Take the 2-7” x 15” pocket cuts; once again place right sides together sew a seam on the 15” side. Fold pocket right sides out, press and topstitch the seam.
- Place the pocket raw edges up and right under the pocket that you just sewed in place, pin and sew.
- Fold pocket up.
- Topstitch the bottom seam. Fold the tote fabric cut in half to find the middle, once again sew a straight stitch down the middle, back stitching at the top of both pockets to make them more secure.
To learn how to sew together the outside of the tote and complete this project, click here.