Water-soluble stabilizer allows you to sew an openwork scarf with lace and yarn. Use various colors of thread and yarn for a different look. You can even create a holiday scarf with red and green yarns and threads with this project from Sulky of America.
- Sulky 30 wt. Rayon Thread (Patti used 2104 Vari-Pastel Blues)
- Lion Brand® Micro Spun™ or Cotton-Ease™ Knitting Yarn
- 8" roll of Sulky Ultra Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer
- Fine-line, Permanent-ink Marker
- Cut the 8" wide Ultra Solvy to the desired length for your scarf, allowing for fringe if desired. Cut a small scrap of Ultra Solvy to practice on.
- With your chosen 30 wt. Rayon thread on top and in the bobbin stitch a "grid" of yarn onto the Ultra Solvy using a small zig-zag stitch to couch the yarn down.
Hint: "The distance between the yarn rows will be determined by your chosen decorative stitch as well as your machine's capability. The decorative stitching was an after-thought after I had already made my grid, so some of the squares of the grid were a little too wide for the chosen stitch, hence the "airy" look to some of the squares" ...Patti
- When you have decided on a stitch, fill in your grid squares, and be sure that the stitch "grabs" both yarn edges of each square. Two rows of a more narrow decorative stitch can achieve this look, as well, but both rows of decorative stitching must overlap as well as catch the edges of the yarn square. When you are pleased with the look, use a fine-line, permanent-ink marker to draw your scarf pattern onto the long Ultra Solvy strip. Stitch the long rows first, then the short cross rows.
Patti used Stitch #E-25 on the Husqvarna Viking Designer I.
- his is the easiest part! Patti discovered that the best way to remove Ultra Soly (since it is so thick and stable) is to use the volume of water that is in your washer. when you are ready to run a load of clothes, fill the washer with water, but no clothes or soap. Put your scarf in the water and let it agitate for 5 to 10 minutes. this is the fast and ecological way of removing Ultra Solvy! When the Ultra Solvy is dissolved, take the scarf out and add the laundry and soap to do a load of clothes. The dissolved Sulky will not affect your clothes in any way. Lay the scarf flat on a counter to dry. Press, if needed, using a press cloth.