Fleece Gnome Hat Tutorial
By: Beth Ritzman for BabyEtte Boutique
This fleece baby's gnome hat is adorable for the cold weather. It is easy to make following this quick tutorial and it will keep your little one warm while looking super cute.
- No-pill fleece about 24″ square
- Matching thread
- Sewing shears
- Baby’s head measurement
- Cut your fleece into 2 rectangles and lay them right sides together
- Take your baby’s head measurement and add 1” for ease and 1” for seam allowance, for a total of 2” extra. Then divide this by 2. Use this number to measure out from one side along the bottom and mark that place with a pin. You can also use another of your child’s hats as a guide.
- Start at the place you just marked, and think about the shape of hat you’d like. How long and pointy do you want it? Would you like a symmetrical hat, or one that places the point towards the back of the head? You can even make 2 points if you’d like… have fun with it! Remember, while cutting, you want to keep about 5” of the crown of the hat close to the head measurement before swooping in toward the point. My total length here is about 20”.
- Pin around the 2 seams. You want to leave the bottom open of course!
- Use a straight stitch to sew up one side and down the other, leaving a ½” seam.
- Trim your seam allowance and the tip of the hat, being careful not to cut any stitches.
- Now we’re going to turn the point inside out. I’ve found the best way to do this is reach one hand inside and then poke the tip between your fingers from the outside. Grab the point and pull it out! Work as much of the point through as you can by hand, then use a bone turner or some fancy tool to gently poke out the tip of the hat.
- Now that everything has turned out well… lets give this hat a hem! Turn the bottom in about ¼” and run it through your machine, folding as you go. I like to use a decorative stitch along the bottom.
- There! You have a hat! Now, to add the irresistible to this cuteness, let’s knot the top. Now find your little Pooky and see just how cute Cute can be!
If you like this project, we also suggest:
Silly Hair Hat for Kids
Sweatshirts to Tunic Tutorial
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!