Make heartfelt gifts, decorative accents for your home or even your own accessories with our free sewing patterns. Find free sewing patterns for easy throw pillows, scrap fabric bags and fun accessories. Most of these free sewing patterns do not require complicate measuring, making them a great resource for sewing for beginners.
If you are new to sewing, check out the Sewing Tips section for Essential Sewing Tools and the Sewing Dictionary.
Free Sewing Patterns Table of Contents
Free Sewing Patterns for Pincushions
- Canning Jar Pincushion: Turn a simple mason jar into a handy pin cushion which bonus pin storage space. This technique is also a create way to decorate glass storage jars with your favorite fabric.
- Felt Donut Pincushion: Use inexpensive felt (or make your own felt) to create a pin cushion that indulges your sweet tooth. Add fragrance for an added bonus in your sewing room.
- Egg Cup Pincushion: Use colorful ceramic egg cups to create miniature pin cushions. Scatter a few on your sewing table.
- NEW! Bottle Cap Pincushion: This cute pincushion is a great way to reuse bottle caps. These also make great gifts and favors.
Free Sewing Patterns for Pillows
- Heating Pillow with Buckwheat: Sew a heating pad filled with buckwheat for long-lasting heat. You can also add your favorite fragrances.
- Recycled Sweater Throw Pillows: Use old sweaters or thrift store finds to create fun new throw pillows. With free sewing patterns and recycled materials, you spend nothing!
- Easy Throw Pillows: This sewing project for beginners uses felt squares to create cute throw pillows.
- NEW! Cascading Ruffles Pillow: This sweet home decor item is great for a living room or bedroom. The cute ruffles are easy to make and can really add texture to your home decor.
- NEW! Movie Poster Pillow: This cute pillow is a great way to show off your favorite flick! Perfect for indoors or out, this pillow also makes a great gift for a new neighbor or a friends housewarming!
Free Sewing Patterns for Bags
- Bow Bag: A great idea for sewing for beginners, this pattern uses a dinner plate as the template. Scrap upholstery fabric and old jeans for the lining make this a thrifty sewing pattern too.
- Ribbon Stripes Bag: Use your favorite ribbons to create a unique handbag. Bag and lining are made together for a quick and easy sewing pattern.
- Camping or Sleep-over Bag: Sew up an over-size bag for stowing a sleeping bag and other essentials.
- Spring Garden Tote: This bag sewing pattern creates a great storage tote for all your garden tools.
- Jewelry Pouch or Sachet: Create a pretty scalloped pouch in shiny lame fabric to store jewelry or hold potpourri or herbs as a sachet.
- Place Mat Purse: Turn a regular placemat into a cute clutch purse. This is a great easy sewing project.
- NEW! Batwing Tote Bag: Great for carrying anything and everything, this easy sewn bag is modern and fun! Use it for groceries or as a cute purse.
Free Sewing Patterns for Clothing
- Sweet Collar Sewing Tutorial: Sew up an adorable and stylish little collar to adorn any outfit. Add your favorite brooch to your collar.
- Reversible Scrap Fabric Apron: Create a reversible half-apron with scrap fabric from around the house.
- Fiber Embellished Shirt: Adorn a plan shirt with a wave of fabric, yarn and other fibers.
- Sewn "Crochet" Edge: Sew a decorative edge on collars, necklines, cuffs and more with the look of crochet but easier.
- Folk Art Moose Applique: Use a special rag wool embroidery to create this unique folk-art inspired applique.
- Woven Edge Cardigan: Reinvent a plain crew-neck sweatshirt as a stylish cardigan with woven edge.
- NEW! Cute Dress from Man's Shirt: This cute summer dress is easily made from a man's shirt. Get the stylish look for pennies on the dollar with this fun sewing project!
- NEW! Dollar Store Petal Skirt: Who would have thought that a trip to the dollar store could land you a cute new stylish skirt? This easy skirt pattern is great for the summer and can be made for less than 10 dollars!
Free Sewing Patterns for Home Décor
- Framed Monogram: Frame a sewn fabric monogram with bird embellishment for a simple but lovely wall decoration.
- Embellished Thread Bowl: Create a beautiful thread bowl by sewing different colors of thread onto water-soluble stabilizer. These threads bowls are lovely, translucent accents for the home.
- Phone Book or Album Cover: Sew up a cute cover with a house scene to disguise a phone book or photo album. This makes a great housewarming gift.
- NEW! Bed Pockets: Store your book, night light, and crossword puzzles in this sweet bed pocket. It's easy to make and makes a great DIY Father's Day gift!
Do you enjoy sewing throw pillow patterns? You might like the Cute as a Button Tree Pillow, or you can try out all of the patterns in 15 Patterns for Easy Homemade Pillows