Follow this free Christmas sewing pattern to create a cute holiday towel featuring a cheerful snowman figure. Create a set of snowman towels as sewn Christmas gifts this season.
- Quattro Brother Sewing / Embroidery Machine
- SA126 Narrow Hem Foot
- SACCIRC1 Circular Attachment
- SA120 Gathering Foot
- SA5810 Tear-Away Medium Weight Stabilizer – Two 5” squares
- SA541 Light Weight Water Soluble Stabi1izer – Two 5” squares
- MT999 Gold Metallic Thread
- 4”x44” strip of fabric for ruffle
- 7”square holiday fabric
- Two 5” squares white fabric for snowman
- One purchased cotton hand towel
- Fusible gems
- To create narrow rolled hem, fold a small section of the fabric over twice, so that the width of the hem is the size of the cut out on the bottom of the foot. Snap on narrow hem foot, place folded fabric under foot and take a few stitches.
- Stop with the needle in the down position, raise the presserfoot, and carefully pull the fabric up and into the scroll on the foot. The inner fold should rest inside the left side of the scroll.
- Hold the edge of the fabric in your right hand, holding it upslightly so that it feeds into the scroll. See finished hem.
- Snap on gathering foot and gather strip to create a ruffle.
- Measure the gathered strip so it is the same width as the towel. Turn under each end to the wrong side.
- Turn under top edge on gathering line and press to create a finished edge.
- With a straight stitch sew the gathered strip to the towel so the hems of both the towel and the pleated strip meet.
- Layer medium weight stabilizer, white fabric and water soluble stabilizer. Fold to find center.
- Attach circular attachment. Pierce fabric and stabilizer sandwich with pin and attach to circular attachment.
- Move circular to 40, select center straight stitch and stitch to create a circle.
- Remove tear away stabilizer and cut around circle leaving a ¼” seam. Clip curves.
- Make a slit in water soluble stabilizer and turn, creating a finished circle.
- Move circular attachment to 30 and follow the directions above to create a smaller finished circle
- Place two circles on 7” square to form a snowman and pin in place. Thread machine with gold metallic thread.
- Place each circle back on circular attachment using original center hole as a placement guide. Move the attachment so that the foot lies on the edge of the circle. Select feather stitch (Q-19) and stitch around each circle attaching to background fabric.
- Place 7” square on towel “on point” and appliqué to towel using blanket stitch (Q-14) and gold metallic thread.
- Decorate snowman with ribbon and bells. Use glue on jewels for eyes and mouth.
For other similar craft ideas, check out this FREE eBook, "The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide".