Victorian House No Sew Quilt
By: Kathleen George for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Victorian House quilt is an easy no-sew project you can quilt in a day! Packed with charm and detail like lace curtains, wooden porch railings and more, you won't even be able to tell that this is a no-sew quilt that's fun to make!
STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- 2 12" X 18" x 1" sheets
- Package quilt batting
- White craft paint
- 1/4 yd. dark green for frame
- 1/4 yd. light green for grass
- 1/4 yd. light violet for sky
- 1/4 yd. dark, small-flowered print for house
- 1/4 yd. dark burgundy for roofs
- 1/8 yd. dark red print for porch floor
- 1/8 yd. medium red print for porch front;
- Scraps of bright fabric for window curtains, shades, front door and chimneys
- 1/4 yd. 1" pointed scalloped lace for roof tops
- 1/2 yd. 5/8" scalloped lace for roof edges
- 1/2 yd. 1" lacy scalloped lace for porch edge
- 1/4 yd. 1" flower lace (or flower motif cut from wider style) for flowers in front of porch
- 1/3 yd. lace with 1 1/2" loop motif for under windows
- 1/8 yd. tiny lace for chimney tops and window shades
- 1/8 yd. 1 1/2" sheer lace for curtains;
- Scraps of lace for tie backs, edges of shades, etc.
Doll House Accessories:
- 9" X 2" porch baluster (Northeastern Scale Models, Inc. #pbl-2, 1201)
- Two 1/4" turned spindles (Houseworks #7009 spindles);
- Door handle and knocker (Realife Miniatures #801)
- Glue gun and glue sticks or white craft glue
- 1" putty knife
- Tracing paper
- Cuticle scissors
- Saw-toothed picture hanger
Enlarge pattern to 22" X 16" on tracing paper.
Glue 2 sheets of STYROFOAM together along 18" sides, using toothpicks to reinforce seam. Let dry thoroughly.
Mark off a 1" frame around the 24" x 18" sheet. Center pattern inside frame and transfer pattern onto surface of sheet. Use a ruler and pencil to score the pattern lines onto the STYROFOAM; the lines should be felt through fabric.
For frame, cut (2) 22" X 3" and (2) 22 1/2" X 3" strips of fabric and (4) 20" X 2" and (4) 22" X 2" strips of batting.
Cut apart pattern pieces. Cut all pieces except windows from fabric, adding 1/4" to all sides.
Cut three layers for each window section. The first layer is from the sky color and covers the whole window area. The second layer, glued on top of sky fabric, is the window shade or lace curtain. The final layer, glued over shade, is the curtain or drape.
Use patterns to cut batting for all pieces except sky, grass and windows; pieces should be the same size or slightly smaller than pattern pieces. If desired, omit batting layer on first floor sections. Cut double layers of batting for porch roof, porch floor and sidewalk.
Layer (2) 20" batting strips along front and sides of top of frame; glue in place. Place 22" X 3" fabric strip over batting so 1/4" extends over scored lines. Position putty knife on scored lines and push 1/4" seam allowance into the foam; glue excess fabric to back. For a clean, crisp "seam," hold the putty knife straight up and down and work on a large flat surface. Tuck in stray fabric with a knife; carefully trim excess fabric. Finish tucking frame, using remaining batting and fabric strips.
Starting with sky and grass, continue to center and tuck batting and fabric pieces into foam.
Assemble windows (see step 6) and glue to quilt. Glue on lace or bead tie-backs
Cut wood baluster into (2) 4 1/2" pieces. Paint spindles and baluster white. When dry, glue to both sides of porch. Glue on door handle and knocker.
Cut (2) 1 1/2" X 1/2" fabric rectangles for chimneys; following photo, glue on wall hanging.
Glue lace along rooftops, roof edges, tops of chimneys, under windows and along front of porch.
- Glue hanger to the back about 1" from top edge. Hang and enjoy your new quilt!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Easy Side Table Skirting Tutorial
- Thought Bubble Bulletin Board Design
- Valentine's Day Mini Dress Card
- Feather Heart and Valentine's Day DIY Photo Props
- You Are MINT to Be My Valentine
- Vintage Valentine's Day Decor
- Valentine's Day Sock Monkey Coffee Cozy Pattern
- Green Tree Handmade Cards