Indulge your sweet tooth with this colorful cupcake quilt. This project is an excerpt from C&T Publishing Cupcakes! edited by Lynn Koolish which includes 29 other yummy projects for sewers, quilters, knitters, and bakers!
- Block background fabric: 9 squares 6˝ × 6˝ (½ yard)
- Scraps for cupcake appliqués
- Border corner blocks: 4 scraps 3˝ × 3˝
- Sashing fabric: 6 strips 1¼˝ × 6˝, 4 strips 1¼˝ × 18½˝, and 2 strips 1¼˝ × 20˝ (1/4 yard)
- Border fabric: 4 strips 3˝ × 20˝ for borders, additional strips for binding (¼ yard)
- Backing fabric: 26˝ × 26˝ (¾ yard)
- Batting: 26˝ × 26˝
- Decorative trim: 4½ yards (optional)
- Paper-backed fusible web, 17˝ wide: ½ yard
Note: Seam allowances are 1/4˝.
- Iron paper-backed fusible web to the wrong side of the fabric scraps for the cupcake appliqués. Remove the paper backing.
- Click here to download the cupcake patterns. Use the patterns to cut out the top and bottom pieces for 9 cupcakes.
- Reduce the cupcake pattern 50%, and cut out pieces for 4 mini cupcakes for the corner blocks.
- Create 9 blocks by fusing the cupcake pieces to the block backgrounds.
- Sew the 11/4˝ × 6˝ sashing pieces between the blocks to create 3 rows. Press.
- Sew the rows together with the 11/4˝ × 181/2˝ sashing strips. Press.
- Sew a 11/4˝ × 181/2˝ strip on each side. Press.
- Sew the 11/4 ˝ × 20˝ sashing strips on the top and bottom. Press.
- Sew border strips to the top and bottom. Press.
- Fuse the mini cupcakes to the corner blocks. Sew the corner blocks to each end of the remaining border strips. Press.
- Sew the remaining border strips to the sides. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting, and quilt top. Baste.
- Quilt and bind. Embellish with trim and buttons.