This Blooming Spring Quilt is made with 10 different fabrics! It may seem daunting, but this beautiful modern quilt pattern comes alive when all the fabrics mingle together. Brighten up your home with this free quilt block pattern!
Free Spirit’s Happy Go Lucky fabrics, as listed:
- (A) NW10 Lime-5/8 yard
- (B) NW08 Lime-1 yard
- (C) NW07 Yellow-5/8 yard
- (D) NW09 Aqua-1 7/8 yards
- (E) NW11 Jewel-1/4 yard
- (F) NW11 Orange-1/4 yard
- (G) NW12 Jewel-1/4 yard
- (H) NW07 Aqua-1/4 yard
- (I) NW10 White-1/4 yard
- (J) NW07 White-1/4 yard
- Flip-N-Cut Magic Templates™ by Omnigrid® (7B and 9A)
All seams are 1/4”. Iron seams to dark fabric. For the two rows of 4 3/4” squares, iron seams open.
- Cut from A: 1 - 17 1/2” square and 4 - 4 3/4” squares.
- Cut from B: 2 - 2” x 17 1/2” strips, 2 - 2” x 21 1/2” strips, 2 - 1 1/4” x 31” strips, 2 - 1 1/4” x 33.5 strips.
- Cut from C (Fussy cut these strips to capture whole flowers): 4 - 4 3/4 x 21 1/2” strips.
- Cut from D: 1” strips for outer border. Measure across center for the length of these borders.
- Cut from I: 4 - 9 1/2” squares.
- From A, D, and G, cut 7 - 4 3/4 squares each.
- From E, F and H, cut 7 - 4 3/4” squares each (you may choose to “fussy cut” flowers and/or leaves).
- From fusible web: 1 - 10” square and 4 - 7”squares.
- From both J and fusible web cut 4 squares 7” being sure to center a flower in the square. Fuse together. Using template 7B, cut 4 appliques. Be sure to position template so flower is centered. This is Applique I.
- From both H and fusible web cut 1 square 10”, being sure to center a flower in the square. Fuse together. Using template 9A, cut 1. Be sure to position template so flower is centered. This is Applique II.
- Fuse Applique I to center of each of 4 -9 1/2” squares cut from Fabric I. Machine applique (uneven zig zag stitch was used).
- Fuse Applique II to center of 17 1/2” square cut from Fabric A. Machine applique.
- Sew the 2" x 17 1/2 " strips to the right and left sides of the 17 1/2" square. Press. Sew the 2" x 21 1/2" strips to the top and bottom sides of the center square. Press.
- Sew 2 of the 4 3/4" x 21 1/2" flower strips to the right and left sides of the main piece. Press.
- Sew 2 of the 4 3/4" squares to each side of the 2 remaining 4 3/4" x 21 1/2" flower strips. Press.
- Attach each of these pieced strips to the top and bottom of the main pieces. Press.
- Sew the 1 1/4" x 31" strips to the right and left sides of the main pieces. Press.
- Sew the 2-- 1 1/4" x 33.5" strips to the top and bottom. Press.
- Arrange the remaining 4 3/4" squares in 2 rows of 7, so that it is pleasing to your eyes.
- Sew the squares into rows of seven, press, then sew 2 rows together, matching seams. Press.
- Attach a double row of squares to the left and right sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the 9 1/2" appliqued squares to each side of the remaining double rows of squares. Be sure to place with the flower going in the desired direction. Press.
- Attach the remaining sets of rows to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
- For the boarder, measure the width of the quilt along the center. Cut two pices from Fabric D 1" x the width. Attach to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press. Measure the length of the quilt along the center. Cut two pieces from Fabric D 1" x the length. Attach to each side of the quilt. Press.
- Layer quilt top with batting and backing, quilt as desired.
- Bind with Fabric D.
- Embellish center aqqliqued flower with beads, if desired.