Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric Volume 1 eCraft Creations
Mokume Gane Peacock Utensils
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Turn basic silverware into something stunning and brilliant with this Mokume Gane Peacock Utensils tutorial. This Japanese-style print combines like colors into a beautiful marbled design that is sure to add sophistication and style to any table. This is a great way to take thrift store silverware and turn it into something any artistic designer would be proud to show off. These Mokume Gane Peacock Utensils may look challenging to make, but it's actually quite simple to get this design.
You can find this project, as well as many other Polymer clay tutorials, in our free eBook, 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Decor and More!
- 1 block Premo! Accents: Translucent - 2 oz
- 1 block Premo! Accents: Purple Pearl - 2 oz
- 1 block Premo! Accents: Gold - 2 oz
- 1 block Premo! Accents: Peacock Pearl - 2 oz
- 1 block Premo! Sculpey®: White - 2 oz
- 1 block Premo! Sculpey®: Black - 2 oz
- Clay Conditioning Machine
- Clay Extruder
- Sculpey® Super Slicer
- Sculpey® Bake & Bond
- Silverware Serving Pieces
- Wet/dry sandpaper 400, 600 and 800 grit
- Buffing Wheel or soft cloth
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275°F (130°C) for 30 minutes per ¼" (6 mm) thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
Begin by preheating oven to 275°F (130 °C). Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. For best results, condition all clay by running it through the Clay Conditioning Machine several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.
Tint Translucent clay with 3 different colors. Tint one ounce of Translucent with a 1/4" ball of Purple, another one ounce of translucent with 1/4" ball of Gold, and one ounce of Translucent with 1/4" ball of Peacock Pearl. Roll out each color out on a medium setting of the Clay Conditioning Machine. Roll two more sheets of Translucent on a thin setting of the Clay Conditioning Machine. Cover each thin sheet with a layer of imitation Gold leaf.
Use these 5 sheets of Translucent clay to make a mokume gane stack. Stack: Tinted Translucent, Gold leaf covered Translucent, Tinted Translucent, Gold leaf covered Translucent, ending with the last tinted Translucent sheet.
Roll this Translucent clay stack through the Clay Conditioning Machine on the thickest setting. Cut into 3 sections.
Stack these 3 sections into a new stack.
Roll Black clay out on medium setting on the Clay Conditioning Machine. Roll out White clay on a medium setting. Stack the Black on top of the White and roll out on the thickest setting of the Clay Conditioning Machine.
Place your Black/White sheet combination on top of the Translucent stack, ending with Black on top.
Impress the complete mokume gane stack with a credit/gift card, dragging the Black clay down to the bottom of the stack. Compress the mokume gane stack back together. Let the distressed mokume gane stack rest.
Turn the mokume gane stack upside down placing the Black clay on the bottom. Using the Super Slicer blade, carefully cut across the mokume gane stack parallel with the table.
Place translucent pieces on a sheet of White clay rolled out on a medium to thin setting, covering the white sheet completely. Burnish.
Roll through the Clay Conditioning Machine first at a thick setting and moving down in thickness until you reach your desired thickness. This sheet will be your veneer.
Cover the handles of your silverware with White clay rolled out on a medium setting. Bake as directed above for 10 minutes. Cool.
Apply a thin layer of Bake & Bond or Sculpey Translucent Liquid clay to the clay covered silverware handle. Cover the White sheet with your veneer, carefully mend seams.
Extrude or roll a 1/4" diameter rope from Black clay. Wrap around top edge of silverware, mending the seam where it meets.
Bake as directed above. Immediately after removing the silverware from the oven, plunge into a bowl of ice water. Wet sand the silverware handle with 400 grit wet dry sandpaper. Progress to 600 grit sandpaper, finish with 800 grit sandpaper. Buff lightly on a polishing wheel to a high shine.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Polymer Clay Heart Beads
- Clay Pot Farm Animals
- Orangesicle Joy Necklace Pendent
- How to Make Polymer Clay Fairy Doors
- How to Make Mokume Gane Polymer Clay
- Glitter Flower Pendants
- Ideas for Polymer Clay Canes
- Clay on Canvas Wall Art
- Dazzling Mokume Gane Pendant
- Sleddin' Dalmation and Skatin' Polar Bear
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Arch Columns Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Baby's First Valentine's Day Shirt
- Dyed Leopard Print Easter Egg Craft
- Polymer Clay Shamrock Pin St. Patrick's Day Craft
- Sparkly St. Patrick's Day Treat Bags
- Stenciled Ornament Kit from Stencil1
- Beaders Delight Box from Cousin
- Plaid Prize Pack
- Styrofoam Kits and Gift Cards from DOW Chemical
- Sizzix Big Shot Starter Kit