By: Mary Cosgrove for Kreinik
Use plastic canvas to create a cute pumpkin pin for autumn or Halloween. Turning this project into a pin is as simple as gluing a pinback.
- QuickCount® 10-count plastic canvas by Uniek
- Kreinik Heavy (#32) Braid in 008 Green
- Kreinik 1/8” Ribbon in 052HL Bronze Hi Lustre, 9192 Light Peach
- DMC embroidery floss in 608 Bright Orange-Red, 704 Chartreuse
- Fabri-Tac™ Permanent Adhesive by Beacon™
- Scissors, Plastic canvas needle (No. 18), Backing material such as fabric, perforated paper, card stock, Pinback
- Charts [pdf]
- Cut canvas according to graphs, and as follows:
BASE: 18 x 18 holes PUMPKIN: 9 x 9 holes
BACKGROUND: 16 x 16 holes STEM: 4 x 3 holes
LEAVES: cut 3, 4 x 4 holes
- Using 1/8” Ribbon Light Peach, work the background piece completely in continental stitches. Overcast the edges with Light Peach.
- Using six strands of Bright Orange DMC floss, work the pumpkin in continental stitches. Overcast edges with Bright Orange. Add Bronze Hi Lustre straight stitches to the center of the pumpkin, tacking the stitches on each side back to curve the lines.
- Work the stem of the pumpkin in Bronze Hi Lustre 1/8” Ribbon in cross stitches. Overcast the edges with Bronze Hi Lustre.
- Using six strands of Chartreuse DMC floss, work the leaves in cross stitches. Overcast the edges of leaves with Green Heavy Braid.
- Holding background piece like a diamond, tack the bottom of the pumpkin 1/2” from the bottom corner of the little background with Bright Orange DMC floss. Tack the two similar leaves to the background at the top of the right side of the pumpkin with Green Heavy Braid, overlapping leaves slightly. Tack the other leaf to the background with green slightly under the top left side of the pumpkin. Tack the stem of the pumpkin to the background under the top center of the pumpkin with Bronze Hi Lustre 1/8” Ribbon.
- Using Light Peach 1/8” Ribbon, whipstitch the background to the unstitched base, leaving one hole around all edges.
- Overcast edges of base with Bronze Hi Lustre 1/8” Ribbon.
- Using Green Heavy Braid, twist and glue several curly tendrils to the background at the top of the pumpkin, on the left side and above the stem. Glue backing material to back of pin. Glue pinback to center of backing material.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!