This quirky plastic canvas pin features a white cat popping out of a basket with bouncing yarn. Make as a gift and/or turn into an ornament or magnet.
Find this craft and more Plastic Canvas projects at "16 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas."
- QuickCount® 10-count plastic canvas by Uniek
- Kreinik 1/8” Ribbon in 152V Vintage Sienna, 008C Green
- DMC embroidery floss in White, 310 Black, 3822 Light Straw, 3852 Very Dark Straw
- Fabri-Tac™ Permanent Adhesive by Beacon™
- Plastic canvas needle (No. 18)
- Backing material such as fabric, perforated paper, card stock
- Cut canvas according to graphs, and as follows:
BASE: 18 x 18 holes
BASKET: 11 x 17 holes
BACKGROUND: 16 x 16 holes
BASKET HANDLE: 20 x 1 holes
KITTEN’S HEAD: 7 X 7 holes
KITTEN’S PAWS: (2) 3 x 3 holes
- Using Vintage Sienna 1/8” Ribbon, work background piece in continental stitches. Overcast the edges with Vintage Sienna.
- Using six strands of Lt Straw DMC floss, work the basket in smyrna cross stitches. Add Kreinik Green 1/8” Ribbon in condensed mosaic stitches to basket. Overcast edges of the basket with 6 strands of Very Dark Straw, add straight stitches to define squares on the basket.
- Work the kitten’s head and paws in six strands of white DMC floss in cross stitches. Overcast the edges of the kitten's head and paws with six strands of white DMC floss. Using six strands of Black DMC floss, backstitch the eyes, nose and mouth on the kitten’s head. Tack the kitten’s paws to the top corners of the basket with three strands of white floss, the kitten’s head to the top center of the basket with white floss.
- Holding background piece like a diamond, tack the bottom of the basket to the bottom of the background, 5/8” from the bottom with 3 strands of Very Dark Straw DMC floss. Tack the sides of the kitten’s head to the background with three strands of white floss.
- Using three strands of Very Dark Straw DMC floss, tack the short ends of the basket handle to the background at the sides of the top of the basket. Tack the top center of the basket handle to the background with the kitten’s head in front of the basket handle.
- Using Vintage Sienna 1/8” Ribbon, whipstitch background to unstitched base, leaving one hole around all edges.
- Overcast edges of base with six strands of Light Straw DMC floss.
- Cut six 1/4” single strands of Black DMC floss for the kitten’s head for whiskers. Glue three strands on each side of the kitten’s nose. Using the remaining amount of Green 1/8” Ribbon, wind ribbon tightly to form a 1/2” ball of “yarn.” Leave at least a 3-inch tail. Add some glue to the green ball and rub around to hold. Add more glue, and tack ball to the bottom corner of the background below the basket. Wind the tail of the ribbon to make a loop and tack the tail to the back of the paw on the left side of the basket. Trim the end of the ribbon 1/2-inch above the paw.
- Glue backing material to back of pin. Glue pinback to center of backing material.