Hot Dog Crochet Coat
By: KJ Hay
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Using Caron International's One Pound you can crochet this adorable dog coat. This is perfect for a fun Halloween costume for your pup. It's an easy crochet pattern for you to put together.
Coat measures approximately 12"/30.5 cm long x 6"/15 cm high, chest circumference is adjustable and measures approximately 15–20"/38–51 cm.
- Caron International One Pound (100% acrylic; 16 oz/454 g, 812 yds/742 m skein):
- 5 oz (A), 2 oz (B), 2 oz (C), 1 oz (D)
- Shown in: #585 Lace (A); #589 Cream (B); #581 Espresso (C); #549 Sunflower (D)
- One size US I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge.
- Stitch markers
- Polyester quilt batting (optional)
- 4 D-rings—1 1/2"/38mm
- Yarn needle
In single crochet, 14 sts and 16 rows = 4"/10 cm.
Chain (ch), single crochet (sc), slip stitch (slip st)
EMBROIDERY STITCHES USED
sc2tog: Single crochet 2 together – Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
sc3tog: Single crochet 3 together – [Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] 3 times, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
sc4tog: Single crochet 4 together – [Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] 4 times, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
1. Buns are worked in continuous rounds; do not join and do not turn at end of rounds. Use a stitch marker to indicate beginning of round. Move marker up as each round is worked. Work with RS facing throughout.
With A, chain 21.
Round 1 (RS): 2 sc in second ch from hook, sc in next 18 ch, 4 sc in last ch; pivot to work along opposite side of foundation chain, sc in next 18 ch, 2 sc in last ch; do not turn and do not join. Place a stitch marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Move the marker up as each round is worked—44 sc.
Round 2: 2 sc in next 2 sc, sc in next 18 sc, 2 sc in next 4 sc, sc in next 18 sc, 2 sc in next 2 sc—52 sc.
Round 3: Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 18 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 18 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc—56 sc.
Round 4: 2 sc in next 3 sc, sc in next 24 sc, 2 sc in next 4 sc, sc in next 24 sc, 2 sc in next sc—64 sc.
Round 5: Sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 24 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 24 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc—68 sc.
Round 6: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 28 sc] twice—72 sc.
Round 7: Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next 4 sc, sc in next 32 sc, 2 sc in next 4 sc, sc in next 31 sc—80 sc.
Round 8: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 30 sc] twice—84 sc.
Round 9: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 12 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 28 sc] twice—88 sc.
Round 10: *[2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc] 3 times, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 28 sc; repeat from * once more—96 sc.
Round 11: [Sc in next 20 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 26 sc, 2 sc in next sc] twice—100 sc.
Round 12: Sc in each sc around.
Slip st in next st. Fasten off. With C, embroider French knot "seeds" randomly scattered around both ends of bun.
Round 1 (RS): Working in back loops only, join B with sc in next st of outer bun, sc in each sc around—100 sc.
Round 2: Working in back loops only, *sc in next 3 sc, sc2tog; repeat from * around—80 sc.
Round 3: Working in both loops, *sc2tog, [sc in next 3 sc, sc2tog] 3 times, sc in next 23 sc; repeat from * once more—72 sc.
Round 4: *Sc2tog, [sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog] 3 times, sc in next 22 sc; repeat from * once more—64 sc.
Round 5: Sc in each sc around.
Round 6: *Sc2tog, [sc in next sc, sc2tog] 3 times, sc in next 21 sc; repeat from * once more—56 sc.
Round 7: Sc in each sc around.
Round 8: *[Sc2tog] 4 times, sc in next 20 sc; repeat from * once more—48 sc.
Round 9: *[Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 20 sc; repeat from * once more—44 sc.
Round 10: Sc2tog, sc in next 20 sc, sc2tog, sc in next 19 sc; there is one st remaining at the end of this round, this is the first st you will work into in the next round. Place marker in first st of next round for new beginning of round.
Round 11: [Sc4tog, sc in next 17] twice—36 sc.
Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing opening closed.
Optional: Place completed bun on quilt batting (use as many layers as desired), trace around bun and cut out oval of batting. Trim edges of batting to allow it to fit inside bun. Place batting inside bun. Sew opening closed.
Locate the center 25 sts along one long edge of Round 1 of one inner bun. Place a marker in the first and last of these 25 sts.
Row 1: Working in the unworked front loops of Round 1 of inner bun, join C with sc in first marked st, sc in next 24 sc (including last marked st), turn—25 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Repeat Row 2 until Back measures about 3"/7.5 cm. Do not fasten off.
Locate the center 25 sts along one long edge of Round 1 of the other inner bun. Place a marker in the first and last of these 25 sts. Before beginning the next row, ensure that the inner buns are facing each other, and align the 25 center sts of the other inner bun with the 25 sts of the last row worked on the first inner bun.
Last Row (joining other inner bun): Working through sts of last row and unworked front loops of sts between markers of other inner bun (including marked sts), slip st in each st across. Fasten off.
Locate the center 5 sts along lower long edge of Round 1 of one inner bun.
Row 1: Working in the unworked front loops of Round 1 of inner bun, join C with sc in first of the center 5 sts, sc in next 4 sc, turn—5 sc.
Rows 2–18: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Row 19: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next sc, sc2tog, turn—3 sc.
Row 20: Ch 1, sc3tog. Fasten off.
Locate the center 5 sts along lower long edge of Round 1 of other inner bun.
Row 1 (RS): Working in the unworked front loops of Round 1 of inner bun, join C with sc in first of the center 5 sts, sc in next 4 sc, turn—5 sc.
Row 2 (attach D-ring): Ch 1, holding the flat edge of one D-ring against the sts of Row 1, *insert hook in next st, yarn over and draw up a loop, insert hook through D-ring, yarn over and draw loop back through D-ring and through the 2 loops on hook; repeat from * across to work a row of sc and attach D-ring to strap, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2 to attach another D-ring. Fasten off.
Work neck straps in same manner as chest straps, working over the 5 sts at center front of buns.
With D, chain 2.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in sc, turn.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures about 10"/25.5 cm long. Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing mustard to Back. Arrange Mustard in a squiggle along Back and sew in place.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
To close coat, thread tapered end of first half of chest strap through both D-rings of second half of chest strap, then thread tapered end back through first D-ring and pull gently to adjust size. Repeat to close neck straps.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye