Dog Sweater Crochet Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Keep your beloved pup warm and cozy on walks with this adorable dog sweater crochet pattern. Stripes of blue and white are just right for the discerning dog, and a special long stitch makes this intermediate crochet pattern more interesting. Making clothes for your pet is an adorable way to get your craft on while still pampering your pooch. Smaller dogs need extra warmth in the winter and something made of cuddly yarn like this dog jacket crochet pattern will keep them happy. This pet crochet pattern was created for a smaller dog, but you could easily extend your stitches if your rover is a bit more rotund.
It's hard to imagine a cuter crochet project to undertake than this endearing sweater. Your dog will be the trendiest pooch in the neighborhood with this winsome, free crochet pattern. This is one project you won't want to do without. Whether it's for your own dog or a friend or family member's, this is one crochet dog pattern you will absolutely want to try.
Looking for more duds for your dog or on the lookout for chic makes for your kitty? Check out our collection of 39 Patterns for Pet Clothing and More Pet Crafts.
Time to Construct: approximately 6 hours
Directions are for size Small; changes for sizes Medium and Large are in parentheses.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 Skein each No. 316 Soft White CA and No. 995 Ocean CB
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 12 sts = 4”; 16 rows = 4” in pat. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- Lsc (Long Single Crochet) = Insert hook in st indicated one row below and draw loop through, yarn over and through 2 loops on hook. Skip st under Lsc.
- dec (decrease) = draw up a loop in next 2 sts, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- Row 1 (Wrong Side): With CB, ch 1, sc in first sc, * Lsc over next sc, sc in next sc; rep from * across; turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across changing to CA in last st; turn.
- Row 3: With CA , rep Row 1.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2 changing to CB in last st.
- Rep Rows 1-4 for pat.
NECKBAND: With CB, ch 6.
- Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 5 sts.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in back lp of each sc across; turn.
- Rep Row 2 until 29 (39, 49) rows in all have been worked, changing to CA in last sc of last row. Fasten off CB.
BODY- Row 1 (Right Side): Working across long edge, ch 1, sc in each row end across; turn – 29 (39, 49) sc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, work 1 (2, 1) sc in first sc, * 2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; rep from * across – 43 (59, 73) sc.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, changing to CB in last st; turn.
- Now work in pat for 2 rows.
Divide for Leg Openings- Row 1 (wrong Side): Keeping continuity of pat, work across first 5 (7, 9) sts; turn. Work even in pat on these sts for 9 (13, 17) more rows. Fasten off. With wrong side facing, skip next 3 (5, 7) sts of last long row for leg opening; join yarn and work in pat across next 27 (35, 41) sts for back for 10 (14, 18) rows. Fasten off.
With wrong side facing, skip next 3 (5, 7) sts of last long row for 2nd leg opening; join yarn and work in pat across last 5 (7, 9) sts for 10 (14, 18) rows. Do NOT fasten off.
Next Row- Join Underbody: Work in pat across first 5 (7, 9) sts, ch 3 (5, 7), work across next 27 (35, 41) sts, ch 3 (5, 7), work across last 5 (7, 9) sts; turn.
Next Row: Work in pat across first 5 (7, 9) sts, sc in next 3 (5, 7) ch, work across next 27 (35, 41) sts, sc in next 3 (5, 7) ch, work across last 5 (7, 9) sts; turn – 43 (59, 73) sts.
Work 1 row even in pat
Shape Back: Keeping continuity of pat, dec 1 st each end of next row, then every other row 13 times – 15 (31, 45) sts. Fasten off.
Leg Openings-Rnd 1: With right side facing, attach CB in any st at leg opening; ch 1, sc evenly around; join with a sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st, * dec, sc in next st; rep from * around, adjusting at end of rnd as necessary; join.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around; join.
- Rnds 4 and 5:
- Rep Rnds 2 and 3.
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, working from LEFT to RIGHT, work 1 rnd Reverse sc. Fasten off.
FINISHING: Sew underbody seam from Neckband to the first shaping row of Back.
Edging: With right side facing, join CB in seam; ch 1, sc evenly around entire edge working 3 sc in corners; join to first sc.
Next Rnd: Ch 1, working from LEFT to RIGHT, work 1 rnd Reverse sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
beg = begin; CA = Color A; CB = Color B; ch = chain; dc = double crochet; dec = decrease; mm = millimeters; pat = pattern; rep = repeat; rnd = round; sc = single crochet; sl = slip; st(s) = stitch (es); tog = together; yo = yarn; [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified; * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated.
If you loved the ideas you found in this article, get inspired by more great ideas in 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor
- Blushing Peony DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Color Blocked DIY Christmas Trees
- Easy Beaded DIY Christmas Garland
- Julie Shawl Crochet Pattern
- DIY Fall Wreath
- DIY Halloween Spiders Tutorial