Use this free sewing pattern for pets from Dyan Bruneau to turn scraps into a gorgeous scrap fabric dog bed! This free dog bed sewing pattern will make Fido say "woof!"
- Old Clothes,
- Upholstery thread and needle
- old sheet or nice piece of fabric or even a piece of Fleece on sale
- Decide what size you want to bed and then cut out fabric and sew together like a crazy quilt, except there is NO fancy with this crazy quilt.
- If you have some old clothes, like Dad's shirts, skirts, dresses, and the like, cut them up into the largest pieces you can, then sew them together like a small quilt, just edges to edges. It doesn't have to be pretty. You will sew enough together so you can cut out big squares. The size squares you want to cut will be to the size of the bed you want to make for your pet. I have Big Standard Poodles so I make about a 2 1/2 foot by 3 foot piece. I usually sew about 5 or 6 of them and place them one on top of the other.
- Even up your edges by cutting away the uneven parts. If you have a nice piece of fabric or even a left over sheet you can use that as the pillow cover. I found a sale on fleece in animal print and since I saved so much by using the old clothes, I felt they deserved it.
- I made a pillow case a little bigger than the layers of fabric I sewed together and when the pillow case is done, leave one end open so you can insert the layers of fabric. Fold in the edges of the open end and sew them, not sewing all the layers of fabric; that would be too thick.
- Once you have the end sewn, mark about ten even places on the pillow top. This will be where you do the tacking with the thread. Use upholstery thread and tack from one side to the other. Do this a couple time in each marked place to secure the tacking. You could use yarn but it may be too hard to pull through all the fabric and it may also give the pet something to chew on, and we don't want that.