It's so easy to create this Star paper topiary. Recycle gift wrap from the holidays or birthdays or use some of your favorite scrapbook paper to make this paper crafted decoration. Makes a perfect centerpiece!
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Star, 12", 9" or 6", one
- Vase Insert to fit pot, one
- Holiday gift wrap
- Paper mâché pot or pot of your choice, 6" for large or medium topiary, 4" for small
- Wooden dowel, 1/4"
- One bag of each color of Reindeer moss: green; red
- Paint pen, Metallic gold
- Serrated knife
- Paraffin or candle stub
- Pencil with eraser
- Measuring tape
- Wrinkle-free paper glue
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Glue foam vase insert into pot. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut vase insert level with top of pot.
- Trace foam star twice onto wrong side of desired paper, noting position of motifs to be sure design is centered. Cut out paper stars.
- Apply small dots of paper glue to backs of paper stars and glue to front and back of foam star.
- Mark opposite sides of pot rim with pencil. Measure and cut paper to cover each half of pot, below rim, again noting motif position.
- Center motifs over pencil marks drawn on rim and glue to pot using paper glue. Cut and glue small pieces of paper to pot to fill any gaps.
- Measure pot rim and cut strip of paper to cover it. Glue paper to rim.
- Use paint pen to highlight star and pot, including rim, as desired; let dry.
- Use glue gun to glue small pieces of green reindeer moss to star edges and lower edge of pot rims. Glue small pieces of red moss into green, every 2", around star. Use scissors to trim moss as needed.
- Cut dowel as follows: 14" length for large topiary; 12" for medium; 9" for small. Glue and insert dowel into center of vase insert in pot; let dry.
- Push star onto dowel so designs on star align with designs on pot. Remove stars, apply glue to top of dowel and replace star; let dry.
- Glue green moss to exposed areas of vase insert; let dry.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.