This positive/negative stencil effect creates an elegant look on a simple wooden cabinet.
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Hosta Leaf (#53541)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Celery (#53543)
- Krylon Easy-Tack™ Repositionable Adhesive - Clear (#7020)
- 6-Drawer Cabinet or Project of your choice
- Stencil of your choice
- When working with unfinished wood, prepare your surface by sanding smooth and wiping clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with bare metal, be sure surface is free of rust and oil. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with plastic, glass or ceramic, lightly sand surface with fine grain sandpaper and wipe clean with a tack cloth. This will help the paint to adhere better to these smooth surfaces. Apply a primer to further improve adhesion.
- Place project on newspaper to protect work area.
- Spray two light coats of Celery on three drawers and the cabinet top and sides. Let dry thoroughly.
- Spray two light coats of Hosta Leaf on the other three drawers. Let dry thoroughly.
- Spray back of stencil with Repositionable Adhesive according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Position stencil on cabinet, one design at a time, and mask off around the stencil to prevent over spray. Spray a fine mist of Hosta Leaf over stencil. Leave the stencil in place for at least two minutes, then remove. Repeat stenciling on top and sides, and front of drawers that are the same color.
- Position stencil on three remaining drawers for a positive/negative effect, one design at a time to continue the pattern, and spray a fine mist of Celery over stencil. Leave the stencil in place for at least two minutes, then remove. Repeat on all three contrasting drawers. Let dry thoroughly.
- For added protection of your finished project, spray several light coats of Krylon® Crystal Clear, Matte Finish or Satin Finish as a final step. For projects that will be used outdoors or near a window, use Krylon® UV-Resistant Clear Gloss or UV-Resistant Matte Finish.
For more project ideas, please visit www.krylon.com/projects.