Noah and the Animals Triptych
By: Debbie Kaput for DecoArt
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This lovely painted triptych shows the Biblical figure of Noah and his animals on the ark. This painting project is perfect for a Christian family or those that love the story of Noah.
DecoArt Products Required
- DA101 - Dioxazine Purple (transparent)
- DA114 - Light Cinnamon
- DA149 - Silver Sage Green
- DA153 - Eggshell
- DA156 - Antique Rose
- DA163 - Honey Brown
- DA166 - Deep Midnight Blue
- DA167 - Payne's Grey
- DA177 - Green Mist
Americana Spray Sealers
- DAS13 - Americana Matte Spray
- Brushes by Loew Cornell - Series 7000 Round 4; Series 7050 Script Liner 6/0; Series 7400 Angular Shader 1/4"; Series 7450 Chisel Blender 2, 4; Series 7500 Filbert 4; Series FAB Round Fabric 2, 4
- Misc - Palette, Tracing paper, graphite paper, 5/8" long by 1" wide hinge, 3/8" long round head screws, Green floral wire, Tacky glue, Sea sponge, Stylus
- 4 1/2" hardwood split goose egg triptych
- 1/4" wood cutouts (refer to pattern) Wood available from "That's Kaput," 850 shorewood Drive, Medina, OH 44256, 216-725-4019 or 216-722-7296 for $10.00 each, postpaid.)
- With a damp sea sponge, tap on Green Mist to the entire piece. Pinch out excess paint. Tap on top of the Green Mist with Silver Sage Green, leaving some of the color showing through. Using the same technique, apply Eggshell. Allow to dry.
- Apply the pattern.
- Paint the boat Honey Brown. Williamsburg Blue: top portion of the center egg. Allow to dry.
- Using a 4 Flat Brush, add the checkerboard pattern to the boat by loading the brush in Light Cinnamon. Allow to dry. Apply the animal patterns.
- Basecoat as follows: Yellow Ochre: giraffe and the birdhouse with three holes. Flesh Tone: Noah's face and hands. Mink Tan: bear and Noah's hair, beard and moustache. Green Mist: turtle and Noah's robe. Eggshell: curved birdhouse, dove, bunny and penguin's tummy. Payne's Grey: penguin. Georgia Clay: brick birdhouse and the carrot. Antique Rose: heart. Green Mist: stripes on the heart. Artist's note: All shading and highlighting is done with a sideloaded brush unless otherwise indicated. Refer closely to pattern for placement of shading and highlighting.
- Using Deep Midnight Blue, shade along Noah and the animals. Shade on the left side of the planks. Using a Liner, add the knots and woodgrain. Using Burnt Umber, shade the boat.
- Using a dry Round Fabric Brush and Antique Rose, add the cheeks to Noah, the giraffe the bear, the bunny and the turtle using a drybrushing technique.
- Giraffe: Georgia Clay: spots. Let dry. Shade using Burnt Sienna. The mane is done by using a Liner and adding individual strands of Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. Yellow Ochre: antler. Black: eyes, eyebrow and mouth.
- Bear: Shade using Light Cinnamon. Highlight with Flesh Tone. Add some hair on the top of his head. (I like to use a shaky hand when doing the highlighting.) Black: eyes, nose and mouth.
- Noah: Black Forest Green: shade robe. Highlight with Eggshell. Eggshell: stripes on his robe. Lightly load a Filbert Brush in Mink Tan and sideload in Buttermilk. Lay in the direction of the hair. Using a Liner, add individual strands of hair with White Wash. Using the same color and a Liner, plop on some eyebrows. Shade the hands along the cuff with Burnt Sienna. Black: inside of mouth. Antique Rose: lip.
- Rabbit: Antique Rose: shade inside of ears, paint the nose. Mink Tan: shade bunny. Highlight with Buttermilk. Black: eyes and mouth. Carrot: Cadmium Orange. When dry, apply some Pumpkin highlight to the left side of the carrot using a Flat Brush. Do the greens with a dry Fabric Brush by tapping on Black Forest Green, then Green Mist and last, Silver Sage Green. Black Forest Green: stems. Lady Bug: Cadmium Red. Black: spots and head.
- Turtle: Black Forest Green: shade the top of shell. Eggshell: highlight the outside edge of his head and neck. Georgia Clay: dots on his shell. Black: eye.
- Penguin: Shade with Dioxazine Purple. Cadmium Orange: feet and beak. Pumpkin: line lip. Payne's Grey: buttons and hair. Buttermilk: eyes. Green Mist: iris. Payne's Grey: the pupil.
- Dove: Shade using Mink Tan. highlight with Buttermilk. White Wash: strokework. Cadmium Orange: beak. Black Forest Green: olive branch. The leaves are tapped on using Black Forest Green first, then Green Mist. Light Cinnamon: holes. Shade along the upper left with Payne's Grey.
- Birdhouses: Yellow Ochre birdhouse Light Cinnamon: wood grain. Shade along the roof. Pick up Georgia Clay in a Round Brush and tip with Yellow Ochre and apply the roof. The scroll work is also Georgia Clay. Georgia Clay birdhouse - bricks are randomly placed using Pumpkin. Paynes Grey: roof. Burnt Umber: shade under the roof. Eggshell birdhouse - has a bird in it. The top of the bird's head is Payne's Grey and the bottom is Buttermilk. Light Cinnamon: roof. Payne's Grey: shade under the roof and do the wood graining and scroll work.
- Boat's trim: Yellow Ochre: highlight the bottom and line the top of the trim. Payne's Grey: The word "Noah." Antique Rose: hearts. Light Cinnamon: birdhouse post on the right; highlight using Yellow Ochre.
- I added some clouds using a sideloaded brush and Eggshell. Eggshell: the stroke work representing the waves.
Spray the piece and apply the hinges. Pull some floral wire through the buttonholes on the heart and curl the ends around a dowel rod. Curl another piece for the dove. Glue the birdhouses and heart on the egg. Drill a small hole in the top of the egg and in the bottom corner of the dove's wing. Glue in curled floral wire. Due to the bottom birdhouse and the heart button attached, the egg will not close completely.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Simple Stained Mason Jars
- Fun with Terra Cotta Pots
- "Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint" free eBook
- "How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast" free eBook from Krylon
- Terra Cotta Garden Turtle
- Martha Stewart Stenciled Candle Hurricanes
- "How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects" free eBook from DecoArt
- 7 Minute Salad Spoons
- Little Flower Mason Jar
- Antiqued Metal Painting Technique
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- Ariel's Beaded Crochet Headband
- Knitted Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Last-Minute T-Shirt Necklace
- Perfectly Pretty Crochet Purse Pattern
- Animal Hats
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- Premo! Sculpey Clay
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie