The mailman won't miss your house if you have this Bold and Brilliant Mailbox from Krylon. Show your neighbors and friends that DIY budget home decor doesn't have to be tacky...it can be sparkly!
See this project and more glittery crafts in our free eBook, How to Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast.
- Standard mailbox
- Krylon® Indoor/Outdoor Primer
- Krylon® Glitter Blast™ Glitter Paint, Cherry Bomb (or any color you desire)
- Krylon® Glitter Blast™ Clear Sealer
- Newspaper or drop cloth
- Cover your work area with newspaper or a drop cloth. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area.
- Remove the flag from the mailbox.
- If you are painting an old mailbox that is rusty or worn, sand the areas until smooth and use a primer. The surface should be clean, dry and dull. If mailbox is in good condition, skip to step 6.
- Prop the mailbox open side down (with door hanging open) on an object such as a 2x4, foam cube or tall container so that all exterior surfaces are free of obstructions.
- Prime the mailbox with Krylon® Indoor/Outdoor Primer. Apply several light coats of primer. Spray from side to side in a sweeping motion, beginning off the surface and ending off of the other side. Allow to dry. (Note: If you are using a plastic mailbox, you do not need to use a primer before applying Krylon® Glitter Blast™.)
- Spray multiple light coats of Krylon® Glitter Blast™ Glitter Paint until you reach the level of coverage you want. Wait 1 to 2 minutes between coats, shaking can before each coat. Allow to dry.
- Apply 2-4 coats of Krylon® Glitter Blast™ Clear Sealer. Allow to dry.
- Spray the flag if you wish, repeating the steps above.
- Reattach flag.