These ornaments can be used around the holidays. You can use it for a tree decoration or just put it in a basket or on a table. Either way, it'll brighten up your holiday.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Bright wool fiber (roving): yellow; pink; red; blue; green
- Ribbon or cording (optional)
- Rubber bands
- Needlefelting tool
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks (optional)
Use photo as a guide; instructions begin with green polka-dot ball at upper right and continue clockwise. Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution and follow manufacturer's instructions to ensure safety.
- Wrap first foam ball with small amount of green roving. Attach fiber to surface using needlefelting tool; continue felting fiber to foam until completely covered. Make three 1/2" circles of each roving color, except green, and felt to surface as shown.
- For second foam ball, make three 1-1/2" circles of each roving color. Needlefelt circles to ball in rough hexagon pattern, overlapping each color 1/8" and alternating colors around ball.
- Place four rubber bands around third foam ball, dividing it into eight equal vertical segments. Mark lines with pencil and remove rubber bands. Needlefelt small amounts of pink and green roving to alternating sections.
- Wrap fourth foam ball with small amount of blue roving. Needlefelt fiber to surface until completely covered. Pull nine 3" pieces from yellow roving. Place pieces in swirl patterns on surface of ball; needlefelt in place.
- Wrap last foam ball with small amount of blue roving. Needlefelt fiber to surface until completely covered. Pull three thin 8" pieces each from red and pink roving. Needlefelt alternating stripes to ball from top to bottom; stripes should be evenly spaced. Repeat with four 8" yellow pieces, alternating stripes between red and pink. Pull two 8" pieces each from pink and green roving. Wrap around ball in opposite direction; needlefelt to surface. Repeat with three 8" yellow lengths, one stripe around center and one at each end.
- If hanging balls on tree, cut 5" ribbon or cord length. Use scissors tip to poke small hole into top of ball. Knot ribbon ends and glue knot into hole.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.