Create these funky patterned ornaments for your tree or for a quilting lover. The fun thing about this project is that you can design the ornaments with any fabric you like and change up the colors and patterns as you go.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Fabrics: 3" square; assorted scraps in coordinating colors
- Ribbon, 1/2" wide, 18" length in coordinating color
- Trims: assorted scraps of lace, ribbons, braid, ribbon flowers, buttons
- Nail file with round tip
- Serrated knife, old candle
- Sharp pencil
- Thick white craft glue or low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- Wax knife blade with an old candle. Cut 3" square from foam sheet. Pin pattern to the 3" square. Using yardstick and sharp pencil, trace over design lines, scoring foam. Cut apart pattern, pin to right side of fabric pieces, and cut out, adding a 3/8" seam allowance.
- Beginning at the ornament center, center fabric piece over the scored lines and gently tuck fabric edges into the foam along the scored lines; be careful not to tuck through to the bottom of the foam. Continue tucking fabric pieces, working outward, until the square is covered.
- Glue 3" fabric square to the back. Embellish ornament with lace, ribbons, and other trims, using photo as a guide.
- Pinch a 6" loop in center of 18" length of 1/2" ribbon; pin loop to corner of ornament. Glue tails of ribbon around ornament edges, with ends meeting at bottom corner; let dry and remove pin.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.