These ornaments made from air-dry molding compound will complete your handmade Christmas tree decoration needs! They're easy and inexpensive homemade ornaments you can make for yourself or share with a friend during the season of giving.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- White, green, red, yellow air-dry modeling compound
- Mini scallop-edge cookie cutters of choice
- Satin ribbon, color of choice, 1/4" x 1/3 yd.
- Plastic-coated paper clip to match compound
- Rolling pin
- Straight pin
- Waxed paper
- Wire cutters
- White, thick craft glue
- Spread waxed paper on work surface. Use rolling pin to roll 3" ball of desired color modeling compound to 1/8"-thick, 6"-diameter circle. Turn clay often to prevent sticking.
- For marble look, begin with equal amounts of two or more colors of modeling compound. Roll each color into long rope. Place colors side by side; twist together. Fold twisted compound in half and roll flat; repeat. Cut circle as described in Step 1, or use for decorative cutouts in Step 4.
- Drape 6" circle over foam ball. Press compound around ball, using scissors to trim excess. Press out air bubbles as you work; use pin to poke small hole in trapped air bubbles. Gently roll ball against tabletop to smooth fingerprints.
- Roll remaining compound colors to 1/8" thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Using photo as guide, position cutouts on ball. Roll small balls of compound and press to ball if desired.
- Use wire cutters to cut paper clip in half; glue one half into top of ornament for hanger. Cut 6" length from ribbon. Thread ribbon through hanger; knot ends. Tie remaining ribbon into bow; glue to base of hanger.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.