Glitzy Snowman Ornaments
By: Pamala Cook
Use toilet paper tubes and a burned out light bulb to create cute snowman Christmas ornaments with a touch of glitter. These are a great low-cost Christmas activity to do with the whole family.
- Burned out light bulb
- White paper
- Decoupage glue
- Water to rinse brush
- Glitter and or snow material
- Trays (or paper plates) and small mouthed glass
- Orange pipe cleaner
- Chop stick or pencil
- Felt white & black
- Toilet paper tube (used)
- Squiggly eyes
- Glitter glue pen
- Glue gun
- Tear white paper into small pieces.
- Set up water to rinse brush (rinse accordingly).
- Wipe bulb off.
- Dip brush into glue.
- Start painting the bulb with glue. Tip: don’t paint the glue where you need to keep your fingers. I use a small mouthed glass to set the bulb on and do one side at a time.
- Add pieces of paper a little at a time gluing them down as you go.
- Allow the glued paper side to dry. After it has dried;
- Repeat step 4–7. Once both sides have been covered with paper & have dried;
- Check to make sure no spots were missed reapply glue and paper where needed and allow to dry.
- Use brush to cover half the bulb with glue
- Place over a tray or paper plate and sprinkle glitter on thick.
- Sprinkle extra glitter onto the tray.
- Then over another tray sprinkle the glitter from the other tray over the bulb again.
- Allow to dry
- Repeat steps 10-14 until bulb is fully covered with glitter and dry.
- Cut string long enough.
- Use tape to tape down string on two sides of the bulb screw in top.
- Secure with glue gun, waiting till glue is set.
- Glue squiggly eyes in place, allow to set.
- Wrap orange pipe cleaner around a chop stick or pencil to desired length for nose, cut tuck in the ends.
- Use glue gun to secure nose in place
TIP: it is easier to work with the bulb when setting on top of a glass or hanging from a banana tree.
TIP: if you get hot glue on your fingers place them in the rinse water
- cut used toilet paper roll to desired height of hat
- Cut black felt to fit around the tube
- Cut a circle from black felt to fit the top and punch a hole through the center for the hanging string.
- Cut a larger circle from black felt for the bottom of the hat.
- Cut a white band for the hat from the white felt.
- Use glue gun to assembly all parts of hat.
- Thread the string through the top of the hat, glue to bulb if desired.
- Use glue pen to make dots for the mouth, allow to dry watching for drips.