Bold Initial Bargello Boxtop
By: Nuts about Needlepoint
You can make a personalized Bold Initial Bargello Boxtop by following this needlepoint pattern from Nuts About Needlepoint. Use the project to put on display in your home. Make some with different initials for your friends.
- 14 mesh mono canvas two inches bigger than the box opening
- 1 skein dark thread in color of your choice (I used Silk & Ivory in midnight)
- 1 skein each two shades of same color (i.e. light and dark) – these do not need to be the same thread
- 1 box with opening in top to fit needlework
- Begin by tracing out the opening on you canvas with a permanent marker made for fabric.
- On your word processor, find a font you like and type in the initial at about the scale you want (72 points generally make an inch, though this isn’t true for all fonts). You will probably have to scale it up or down. Put your canvas with the outline over it to check on the size.
- Trace the letter onto the center of the canvas and color it in with a dark marker made for fabric.
- When dry stitch the initial with the dark marker in either Basketweave or a textured stitch (I used Nobuko).
- The Bargello pattern I used, pictured above, is a diamond pattern which only uses two shades. The outline color is also the center stitch. Patterns like this are easy to compensate and subtle enough to make a wonderful background for the initial.
- When complete, follow the finishing instructions to put it into the box.