With a base of STYROFOAM™ brand foam, needlefelting is easier than ever. These posey pins are wonderful gifts - you'll want to make a bouquet of them.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Assorted fabric and felt scraps
- Wool roving
- Coordinating ribbons, two colors/patterns, 1/2" x 1/6 yd. each
- Pin backs
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Compass or circle template, 4-3/4"
- Scissors: standard; scallop-edge fabric
- Needlefelting tool
- Sewing needle and button thread
- Air-soluble marker
- Iron and pressing cloth
- Double-sided iron-on adhesive
- Fabric glue
Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin and cut foam ball in half; each ball will make two pins.
- Place small amount of wool fiber against foam half-ball and attach to surface using felting needle; follow manufacturer instructions to ensure safety. Continue felting fiber to foam until completely covered.
- Cut and fuse two different 6" fabric squares, wrong sides together. Using air-soluble marker, trace large flower onto fabric, disregarding dashed circle inside flower. Cut out flower.
- Repeat Step 3 to create additional large and small flowers from different fused fabrics. Refer to photo to layer flowers together; adhere centers with fabric glue.
- If desired, use scallop scissors to cut small circle from white felt; see dashed circle on large flower pattern for approximate size. Adhere to flower center.
- Adhere needlefelted foam half-ball to flower center.
- Cut two 6" ribbon lengths, fold in half and adhere to back of flower with fabric glue. Adhere pin back to back of flower; let dry.
- For yo-yo flower pin, shown with yellow center, follow Steps 2-4 above to create two large flowers, cutting center from each as indicated on pattern.
- To make yo-yo, draw 4 3/4" circle onto non-fused fabric and cut out. Sew gathering stitch around circle 1/8" from edge and pull up gathers tightly to create ruffled circle; knot and clip threads. Gather completed yo-yo again 1/4" from edge.
- Place yo-yo through center of layered fabric flowers; secure with fabric glue. Adhere felted half-ball to center of yo-yo.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.