Soft wool, whimsical wire, and perky details make this little cheeper a keeper! Needlefelting on foam is easy to master and just perfect for cuddly characters.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Lavender wool felt, 9" x 12" sheet
- Light yellow wool fiber (roving)
- Black acrylic paint
- Orange card stock scrap
- Grosgrain ribbon, 1/4" x 1/2 yd.
- Green floral wire, 22 gauge
- Cosmetic blush
- Cotton-tipped swab
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden toothpicks
- Needlefelting tool
- Wire cutters
- Ball-head straight pins, two
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Position foam ball on top of foam egg at slight angle, as shown in photo. Use toothpicks and glue to secure head to body.
- Place small amount of wool fiber against chick and attach to surface using felting needle; follow manufacturer instructions to ensure safety. Continue felting fiber to foam until completely covered. Loosely felt additional fiber to body for fluffy wings and tail.
- Bend floral wire into webbed foot shape as shown in photo, continuing shape up into twisted-wire legs; trim excess. Repeat for second leg. Insert legs into bottom of chick, making sure chick can stand. Glue legs into foam to secure.
- Dip ball-head pins into black paint and let dry. Insert into head for eyes. Cut diamond shape from card stock; fold in half and glue to face for beak.
- Cut 1" x 6" strip from lavender felt and roll into tight cylinder. Trace one end onto felt and cut out; glue to top of cylinder. Cut 3/4" circle from felt; glue to bottom of hat for brim. Glue hat to head.
- Tie ribbon bow around neck; trim ends. Use cotton swab to blush cheeks.
Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution. The higher the needle number, the finer the needle and the smaller the hole left in the project. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.