This fun project features fabric with a cat image, but you can apply the same technique to embellish any fabric that has a colorful print. The tape makes it easy to attach to your jacket, and if you heat-set the tape, the garment becomes washable.
- Any Printed Fabric
- Two - 8x10 Treasure Tape Sheets
- 1" Treasure Tape Trim
- Diamond Beadlets
- 1/4" Trim (enough to go around the outside of your design)
- Kreinik Metallic Threads (in colors that match the print)
- Cut your fabric to the right size (leave 1" on each side of the print.) Peel back the white liner from one corner on your first sheet of Treasure Tape and position the tape over your printed fabric. Press down firmly. Peel the rest of your white liner off, smoothing out any air bubbles as you go. When your design is fully covered, use an x-acto knife to carefully cut the red liner into sections around each area of your design (we cut around each pillow, the cat, the purple background, the arch, etc). Do not cut the fabric.
- Begin embellishing your design. Peel back the liner on a section of your design. Use thread to outline shapes and patterns, or to add pattern in blank areas. When finished, use the red liner to press your threads securely into the tape and move to the next area.
- When finished embellishing your design, place your fabric in a shallow tray and pour diamond beadlets on the exposed tape. Swirl with your fingers to cover fully, and then tap to remove excess beadlets.
- Your next step is to attach the design to your jacket. Peel the white liner back from one corner of your second sheet of Treasure Tape and position it on the back of your design. Peel off the rest of the white liner as you press the tape onto the back of your fabric, smoothing out any air bubbles as you go. Peel back the red liner. Fold each corner of the fabric in and press it into the tape. Then fold the sides in, pressing them into the tape as well. (If necessary, apply strips of Treasure Trim overlapping the corner folds.)
- Make sure all red liner is removed and then center your design on the back of your jacket. Use strips of Treasure Trim to make a border around the design, overlapping the edges of your design. Using your trim (we used white rick-rack) cover the edges of the design. Embellish the rest of your border as desired. Bead your jacket, following the instructions above.
- Finish your jacket by heat-setting the whole design. Using a regular iron and presscloth, iron your design on top and from inside the jacket, to help the tape bond permanently.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.