Whether your mom is a fan of fresh cut flowers, or fake plants, you can't go wrong with this Mother's Day flower pot from Alyice Edrich! In just one afternoon you can create a handcrafted gift that is sure to keep your mother talking for weeks. And the best part is that you can customize the design to match your mother's home décor and/or hobbies!
- 1 - Paper Mache Flower Pot
- 9 - 6 mm x 12 inch Chenille stems
- 1- White Gesso Paint by Liquitex
- 1 - Wallboard Joint Compound (purchased at local hardware store)
- 1- Acrylic paints: yellow, red, green, white
- 1- Acrylic Spray Sealer (Krylon is a good brand)
- 1 - Elmer's Glue (can also use Aileen's tacky glue)
- 1- Straight pin (or point tool)
- 6 - Tiny paper dots
- 1 - Silk flower plant
- 1 - Moss (or fake grass)
- 1 - Shredded paper
- 1 - Artist's spatula
- 1 - Wire cutters
- 1 - Wide paint brush
- 1 - Thin tipped paint brush
- Paint inside, outside, and bottom of flower pot with gesso. Let dry.
- Using spatula, spread joint compound on bottom half of the flower pot, creating up and down streaks.
- While joint compound is still wet, carve floral design into it using a straight pin. Let dry. (For this project, I created a squiggly line as a stem with a triangle for the flower. Then while the joint compound was still wet, I placed a tiny paper dot into the center of the triangle.)
- Paint outside of flower pot yellow. Let dry.
- Paint inside of flower pot red. Let dry.
- Paint floral design. Let dry.
- Paint the grass. Let dry. (For this project, I used a light green, a dark green, and a white to paint overlapping strokes.)
- Paint flowers in the grass. Let dry. (For this project, I simply took the tip of a paint brush, dipped into paint, and created dots to represent the flowers.)
- While planter is drying, create pussy-willow-like branches out of Chenille stems.
- Grab one stem and make a small bend at the top.
- Grab a second stem and create a small loop on the right side of the first stem.
- Twist the second stem around the first stem five times, making sure twists are tight and close to each other. Then make a second loop on the left side. Keep repeating this pattern until the entire first loop is covered. (You may have to use two stems on the first stem.)
- Repeat steps 11 and 13 until you've created 3 pussy-willow-like branches.
- Spray inside and outside of planter with Acrylic sealer.
- While acrylic sealer is drying, grab a fake silk plant. Use wire cutters to separate flowers from the plant.
- Pack flower pot with shredded paper. (This is a great way to use up that junk mail!)
- Insert the pussy-willow-like branches.
- Pour glue on top of paper.
- Break up moss and place pieces on top of the glue, making sure you gently press the moss down into the glue so that it adheres.
- Take flowers and arrange them between the branches.
Congratulations! You've just completed a lovely floral arrangement.
Paper Mache Flower Pot (Item 2839-04) and Chenille stems (Item 10166-64) was provided, free of charge, by Consumer Crafts.