This is a fun project for one to do for Mother's day. It involves real flowers and some artistic abilities. Personalize it with her initials. This is great to hang on the wall once it is framed.
- A piece of plain cloth (we used a loose cotton)
- A rounded rock or hammer
- Flowers and leaves
- If you’d like to frame your art when you’re done, then you’ll need an embroidery frame or a picture frame, or hung scroll-style from sticks is beautiful.
- Get your favorite gathering basket, and go collecting with your favorite children – look for fresh, fallen blooms and petals, and gather a few leaves as well.
- (note: your fresh design may not look the same when it dries– many flowers will change colors.)
- Cut your cloth to your desired size.
- I traced letters lightly with pencil (for a pattern) onto our cloths for my babes to follow.
- We pressed them directly into the cloth– with another cloth underneath it to protect the fabric fibers from getting too damaged.
- sidenotes: The cloth underneath will also be imprinted with colors, so use something that can be marred.
- Light taps directly on the petals and leaves will do the trick – mashing the colors and fibers of the petals into the cloth.
- When the children were done tapping the flowers, I placed them into the clothes dryer to heat and to set the colors into the cloth.
- Hang them in framing as you wish.