Rainbow Dog Sweater
By: Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit a cute and comfortable sweater for your dog in a rainbow of colors. This dog sweater knitting pattern is for intermediate knitters. Combining an array of colors, this bright and colorful free knitting pattern is perfect for your pup. The warm design will keep smaller dogs warm in the winter, and the colorful pattern will help them stay visible while you walk in the winter. You can look out below for several sizes, allowing you to make a sweater for canines of all sizes.
Find this and other Rainbow Crafts at "14 Simple DIY Rainbow Crafts for Springtime"! Can't get enough knitting? Dog sweater pattern ideas are waiting for you at FaveCrafts! Here are two of our favorites: Camouflage Dog Coat and Dog Hooded Coat.
- Caron International's Simply Soft Brites
- #9604 Watermelon (A), one ball
- #9605 Mango (B), one ball
- #9606 Lemonade (C), one ball
- #9607 Limelight (D), one ball
- #9608 Blue Mint (E), one ball
- #9610 Grape (F), one ball
- Knitting needles:
- Size 6.5 mm/U.S. 10.5 knitting needles OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE
- Size 5.5 mm/U.S. 9 straight needles
- Size 5.5 mm/U.S. 9 double-pointed needles (set of 5)
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle (tn)
Gauge: 14 sts and 18 rows = 4” (10 cm) in St st (k on RS, p on WS) with one strand each MC and CC held tog on larger needles. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
- S (M, L, XL)
- Chest measurement 14 (18, 22, 26)"
- Finished sweater measurement 15 (19, 23, 27)"
- The instructions are written for smallest size.
NOTE: Sweater is knitted with two strands of yarn held together throughout. When you are working with one skein of yarn and the pattern calls for knitting with two strands, pull the yarn end from the
inside of the skein and the end from the outside of the skein and hold them together.
Beg at neck opening with two strands of Color A held tog and larger needles, cast on 40 (54, 68, 72) sts. Work in St st, changing yarn colors every 8 rows, following the color pattern (B, C, D, E)* until piece measures 8 (12, 16, 17)" from beg ending with a WS row. Maintaining the color pattern, dec 1 st each edge every other row 8 (8, 12, 12) times
— 24 (38, 44, 48) sts. Work even until piece measures 12 (16, 21, 23)" from beg. Bind off all sts loosely.
Beg at neck opening with two strands of Color A and smaller needles, cast on 7 sts. Following color pattern (B, C, D, E)* work in K1, P1 Rib, inc 1 st each end every 3rd row 7 (9, 13, 16) times – 21 (25, 33, 39) sts. Work even, following the color pattern, until piece measures 8 (12, 16, 17)" from beg. Bind off all sts loosely.
Sew Underpanel to Back leaving a 2 (21⁄2, 3, 31⁄2)" space on each side for front leg openings at the widest point of Underpanel. When sewing panels together make sure stripes match.
With double-pointed needles and two strands of Color F, pick up and knit 44 (58, 72, 76) sts evenly around neck opening. Place marker, join, and work in K1, P1 Rib for 3" or desired length. Bind off all sts loosely.
With double-pointed needles and two strands of Color F, pick up and knit 20 (22, 24, 26) sts evenly around opening. Place marker, join, and work 5 rnds in K1, P1 Rib. Bind off all sts loosely.
With double-pointed needles and two strands of Color F, pick up and knit 78 (96, 120, 130) sts evenly around Back opening. Join and work 5 rnds K1, P1 Rib. Bind off all sts loosely.
Weave in ends.
* Color pattern may vary depending on the size of the dog sweater.
To make this free knitting pattern, we recommend the following materials.They are all available for a discount at CutRateCrafts.com!
- Caron Simply Soft Brites Yarn - Watermelon
- Caron Simply Soft Brites Yarn - Mango
- Caron Simply Soft Brites Yarn - Limelight
- Caron Simply Soft Brites Yarn - Blue Mint
- Caron Simply Soft Brites Yarn - Grape
You can find even more pet crafts for your pup in our colleciton of 39 Patterns for Pet Clothing and More Pet Crafts.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 59 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Easy Lace Shawl
- Rainbow Dog Sweater
- 21 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Dog Hooded Coat
- Quick and Easy Shawl
- "24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns" eBook
- 15 Free Knitting Patterns for Cold Weather + 4 More Patterns
- Knitted Luggage Tags
- "12 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns" eBook
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor
- Blushing Peony DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Color Blocked DIY Christmas Trees
- Easy Beaded DIY Christmas Garland
- Julie Shawl Crochet Pattern
- DIY Fall Wreath
- DIY Halloween Spiders Tutorial