Free Knitting Patterns and Basic Knitting Instructions
By: The Editors of FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knitting can be a fulfilling hobby and is a great way to expand your crafting horizons. Like many crafts, taking up knitting is inexpensive. All you need is a few needles or a knitting board, yarn, and a great guide with free knitting patterns, beginner knitting tips, free loom patterns and tutorials. That’s where FaveCrafts comes in.
Table of Contents
Our Favorite Free Knitting Pattern: Knit Two Hours or Less Scarf
(c) Lion Brand Yarn Company, used with permission
It's all in the name -- make this easy scarf super fast!
- Lion Brand VANNA'S CHOICE (Art. #860)
- #143 Antique Rose 1 ball (A)
- #140 Dusty Rose 1 ball (B)
- #125 Taupe 1 ball (C)
- or colors of your choice
- Knitting needles size 19 (15 mm)
- Large-eyed blunt needle
8 stitches = 4" (10 cm) in Garter stitch (knit every stitch on every row) with 3 strands (1 strand each of A, B, and C) held together.
With 1 strand of A, B and C held together, cast on 16 stitches. Work in Garter stitch (knit every stitch on every row) until piece measures about 45" (114.5 cm) from beginning. Bind off.
Weave in ends.
For each Fringe cut 2 lengths of each color, 22" (56 cm) long. Fold strands in half, pull fold through end of Scarf. Pull strands through fold and tighten. Make 8 Fringe along each end of Scarf.
According to Authentic Knitting Board: “A knitting board is a hand knitting tool that creates a double knit fabric, a two sided fabric that is finished on both sides. There is no backside. Compared to single knit with a knit side and a purl side, double knit creates the smooth knit side on both sides and the purl sides are inside facing each other. It is a much faster way to create double knit vs. two needle knitting. You can do your shaping by increasing and decreasing and your project stays right on your board. The knitting board is very versatile, and by changing your gauge, you can create many different looks, while using all types of yarn.”
1. Two Hour Potholders
These are so much nicer and thicker than the potholders you can buy in the store, and now you can make them to match your kitchen dcor. Plus, they are easy to knit and work up quickly. So, save yourself a trip to the store and knit a few today.
2. Autumn Afghan with Fleur-de-Lis Design
Knitted squares of color offset a center panel with a unique fleur de lis design in this free afghan pattern.
3. BeeBopper Knitted Tote Bag
This cute, striped knit bag is a great size tote for any age. This works up quickly quickly in stockinette stitch. Center seams down front and back of bag add to unique look.
4. Bostonian Hat and Scarf
With the help of a knitting board, knit a matching hat and scarf worthy of Boston winters.
5. Cable Hat, Scarf and Mittens
This beautiful free knitting pattern to make a matching hat, scarf and mittens involves smooth stockinette, ribs, and cables. Bulky wool makes it all very warm and cozy.
Easy Guide to Yarn Weight
Yarn is divided by weight, or how many stitches in a gauge of 4 inches. The thinner the yarn, the more stitches in the gauge. The thicker the yarn, the less stitches in the gauge. Check out our easy guide to yarn knitting for more information.
Organizational Tips for Knitters
By Kelsey Innis
- When knitting, if you need to put down your work and you don't have a point protector handy, try using one of those erasers that fits over the end of your pencil. It's soft, so even if your needle doesn't fit snugly into the opening, you can jam it in. This is also useful when you are crocheting, especially with slippery yarn.
- To use up yarn scraps, start a yarn ball! Just tie the scraps together. As long as it doesn't get too big , you can stash it in your bag. Just make sure you don't start using it for a project!
- When knitting or crocheting, to help keep yarn tension even, wear a smooth gold ring on your ring finger and thread the yarn through it. This is especially helpful to those with arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- To remove wrinkles from yarn that has been ripped out, wind the yarn around a large box, like a suit box. Tie it in four places with contrasting color yarn and remove the hank from the box. In the microwave, boil a bowl of water, turn off the microwave, and put the hank beside the bowl. Leave it in the microwave for about 20 minutes. Then lay the hank flat on a towel and let it dry completely. Wind it loosely into a ball.
- When knitting, try putting your ball of yarn into a Ziploc bag, almost completely closed except for where the yarn comes out. This prevents tangles and knots.
Click here for more tips on knitting and a comprehensive beginners guide to knitting.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 59 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Quick and Easy Shawl
- Our Favorite Textured Knit Hat
- Half Fisherman Ribbed DIY Headband
- Rainbow Dog Sweater
- 15 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns + 6 New Tutorials
- Easy Lace Shawl
- "24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns" eBook
- Dog Hooded Coat
- "12 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns" eBook
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye