Camouflage Dog Coat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Keep your dog warm with this adorable camouflage dog coat with cargo pockets from Bernat Yarns! This free knitting pattern shows you how to make a quick and easy coat for any size dog. This easy dog coat is great for playing and walking outdoors in the wintertime...and the little cargo pocket is perfect for storing your keys as you two walk in the park. Dogs of all kinds will love the warmth of this fun seasonal knit accessory.
- 1 (2, 2, 2) ball(s) Bernat Camouflage Yarn, or color of your choice (MC)
- 1 (1, 1, 1) ball contrasting yarn, color of your choice (A)
- 4mm (US 6) knitting needles
- 5mm (US 8) knitting needles
- 4mm (US 6) circular knitting needles
- 4mm (US 6) double pointed knitting needles
Gauge: 18 sts and 24 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking st with larger needles.
Sizes: S (M-L-XL)
To fit dog chest measurement: 10 (13-16-24)" [25.5 (33-40.5-61) cm].
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
With MC and smaller needles, cast on 40 (46-58-82) sts.
Beg with a WS row, knit 9 rows inc 4 sts evenly across last row. 44 (50-62-86) sts.
Change to larger needles and beg with a knit row, work 2 rows in stocking st.
Next row: (RS). Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K1. 46 (52-64-88) sts.
Cont in stocking st, inc 1 st at each end of needle, as before, to 50 (60-72-104) sts, then on following alt rows to 54 (68-82-122) sts.
- Purl 1 row.
Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section.
Next row: (RS). K5 (5-7-11). Cast off 4 (6-6-10) sts. K36 (46-56-80) (including st on needle after cast off). Cast off 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row.
Beg with a purl row, work for 1 (1 1/2-1 1/2-2 1/2) ins [2.5 (4-4-6) cm] in stocking st, ending with purl row.
Joining row: K5 (5-7-11). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. K36 (46-56-80). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row. 54 (68-82-122) sts.
- Cont even until work after neckband measures 4 1/2 (5 1/2-7-10)" [11.5 (14-18-25.5) cm], ending with purl row. Place a marker at each end of last row.
Cast off 6 (7-9-13) sts beg next 2 rows. 42 (54-64-96) sts.
Next row: (RS). Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
Next row: Purl. Rep last 2 rows to 26 (36-42-66) sts.
- Cont even until work after neckband measures 10 (12 1/2-15 1/2-21) ins [25.5 (32-39.5-53.5) cm], ending with purl row. Leave sts on a spare needle. Sew neck seam to markers.
With RS facing, MC and circular needle, pick up and knit 33 (37-51-67) sts along body from marker to back. K26 (36-42-66) from spare needle dec 3 (3-5-5) sts evenly across. Pick up and knit 33 (37-51-67) sts along opposite side of body to marker. 89 (107-139-195) sts.
**Join in rnd, and placing a marker on first st, proceed as follows:
Next rnd: Purl.
Next rnd: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rnds 3 times more. Cast off purlwise.**
- With RS facing, MC and first double pointed needle, pick up and knit 7 (9-10-12) sts. [With next double pointed needle pick up and knit 7 (9-10-12) sts] twice. 21 (27-30-36) sts. Work from ** to ** as given above.
With A and larger needles, cast on 25 (25-30-30) sts.
- Proceed in stocking st for 5 (5-6-6) ins [12.5 (12.5-15-15) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off.
With A and larger needles, cast on 12 sts.
1st row: (WS). P3. Knit to end of row.
2nd row: Knit to last 4 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K3.
Rep last 2 rows to 23 (23-26-26) sts.
Next row: (WS-buttonhole row). P3. K2. yfwd. K2tog. Knit to end of row.
Next row: Knit to last 5 sts. K2tog. K3.
Next row: P3. Knit to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows to 12 sts, ending with a purl row. Cast off.
- Sew Pocket to back. Sew top edge of Pocket Flap in position 1/2 inch [1 cm] above top pocket edge. Sew button to Pocket to correspond to Pocket Flap buttonhole.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 54 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns eBook
- 36 Quick and Easy Free Knitting Patterns and Beginner Help
- Rainbow Dog Sweater
- 13 Favorite Free Shawl and Poncho Knitting Patterns
- Knit Bow Tie Dog Collar Free Knitting Pattern
- Knitting Pattern Central: 614 Cool Knitting Patterns
- 15 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns + 6 New Tutorials
- Easy Lace Shawl
- "24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns" eBook
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sandits Sanding Sticks
- Apricot Bath Bomb Recipe
- Homemade Lip Balm
- Spiced Brown Sugar Scrub
- Tree of Love DIY Wedding Centerpiece
- Painted Tool Box DIY Father's Day Gift
- Mary Vaughn
- Red and Black Dangly Plastic Earrings
- Refashioned Patchwork Jacket Sewing Pattern
- Coraline's Summer Baby Hat Pattern