Cropped Norwegian Sweater
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This cropped Norwegian sweater knitting pattern from Patons can be adjusted for kids aged 2 to 10 years. The two-tone design is a fun take on the fair isle standard.
- Yarn: Patons® Astra (50 g/1.75 oz) Sizes: 2 (4-6-8-10) yrs
Main Color (MC): (Black) 4 (5-5-6-6) balls
Contrast A: (Pink) 1 (1-1-2-2) ball(s)
- Sizes 3.75 mm (U.S. 5) and 4 mm (U.S. 6) knitting needles or size needed to obtain tension. 2 st holders. 6 buttons for sizes 2 and 4.
To fit chest measurement
2 yrs 21 ins [53.5 cm]
4 yrs 23 ins [58.5 cm]
6 yrs 25 ins [63.5 cm]
8 yrs 261/2 ins [67.5 cm]
10 yrs 28 ins [71 cm]
2 yrs 26 ins [66 cm]
4 yrs 271/2 ins [70 cm]
6 yrs 30 ins [76 cm]
8 yrs 32 ins [81.5 cm]
10 yrs 341/2 ins [87.5 cm]
Gauge: 22 sts and 28 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
Alt = Alternate.
Beg = Beginning.
Cont = Continue(ity).
Dec = Decrease.
Inc = Increase 1 stitch by knitting into front and back of next stitch.
K = Knit.
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together.
P = Purl.
Pat = Pattern.
Psso = Pass slipped stitch over.
Rem = Remaining.
Rep = Repeat.
RS = Right side.
Sl1 = Slip next stitch knitwise.
St(s) = Stitch(es).
WS = Wrong side.
Yfwd = Yarn forward.
- The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger size(s) the instructions will be written thus ( ). Numbers for each size are shown in the same color throughout the pattern. When only one number is given in black, it applies to all sizes.
- Note: When working from chart, carry yarn not in use loosely across WS of work but never over more than 5 sts. When it must pass over more than 5 sts, weave it over and under color in use on next st or at center point of sts it passes over. The colors are never twisted around one another.
- **With MC and smaller needles, cast on 71 (75-83-87-95) sts.
- 1st row: (RS). K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
- 2nd row: P1. *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
- Rep last 2 rows once more.
- Change to larger needles and beg with a knit row, proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 11/2 (21/2-31/2- 41/2-51/2) ins [4 (6-9-11.5-14) cm], ending with RS facing for next row and inc 2 sts evenly across last row. 73 (77- 85-89-97) sts.
- Next 14 rows: Work rows 1 to 14 of Chart in stocking st, reading knit rows from right to left and purl rows from left to right, noting 4 st rep will be worked 18 (19-21-22-24) times.
- Shape armholes: Next row: Keeping cont of chart, cast off 4 (4-8-8-8) sts beg of next 2 rows. 65 (69-69-73-81) sts.
- Cont working in Chart II to end of chart.
- Next row: (RS). With MC, knit, dec 2 sts evenly across 63 (67-67-71-79) sts.**
- Cont even until armhole measures 5 (51/2-6-6-61/2) ins [12.5 (14-15-15-16.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row.
- Shape shoulders: Cast off 18 (19-19-19- 22) sts beg next 2 rows. Leave rem 27 (29-29-33-35) sts on a st holder.
- Work from ** to ** as given for Back.
- With MC, cont even until armhole measures 4 (4-41/2-43/4-5) ins [10 (10- 11.5-12-12.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row.
- Shape neck: Next row: K23 (25-25-25- 29). K2tog (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
- Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 6 (4-4-4-4) rows, then on every following alt row 0 (1- 4-4-4) time(s). 18 (19-19-19-22) sts.
- Cont even until armhole measures 4 (41/2-7-71/2-8) ins [10 (11.5-18-19-20.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row. Cast off.
- With RS of work facing, slip next 13 (13- 13-17-17) sts onto st holder for front neck.
- Rejoin MC to rem sts: Sl1. K1. psso.
- Knit to end of row. 23 (25-26-27-31) sts.
- Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 6 (6-4-4-4) rows, then on every following alt row 0 (1- 3-4-4) time(s). 18 (19-19-19-22) sts.
- Cont even until armhole measures 4 (41/2-6-6-61/2) ins [10 (11.5-15-15-16.5) cm], ending with WS facing for next row. Cast off.
- With MC and smaller needles, cast on 51 (51-51-55-55) sts.
- Work 2 rows in (K1. P1) ribbing as given for Back.
- Change to larger needles and beg with a knit row, work 4 (4-6-6-6) rows in stocking st.
- Next row: (RS). K4 (4-4-5-5). K2tog. [K10 (10-10-12-12). K2tog] 3 times. K5 (5-5-6- 6). 47 (47-47-51-51) sts.
- Work 1 (1-3-3-3) row(s) even.
- Next row: K3 (3-3-4-4). K2tog. [K9 (9-9- 11-11). K2tog] 3 times. K5 (5-5-6-6). 43 (43-43-47-47) sts.
- Work 1 (1-3-3-3) row(s) even.
- Next row: K2 (2-2-3-3). K2tog. [K8 (8-8- 10-10). K2tog] 3 times. K5 (5-5-6-6). 39 (39-39-43-43) sts.
- Inc 1 st at each end of needle on every following 4th row to 53 (57-59-47-53) sts, then every following 6th row to 55 (59-63- 63-71) sts.
- Cont even until work from beg measures 71/2 (9 1/2-11 1/2-13-14 1/2) ins [19 (24- 29-33-37) cm], ending with RS facing for next row and inc 2 sts evenly across last row. 57 (61-65-65-73) sts.
- Work rows 1 to 10 of Chart, reading knit rows from right to left and purl rows from left to right, noting 4 st rep will be worked 14 (15-16-16-18) times. Place marker at each end of last row.
- Sizes 2 and 4 only: Work rows 11 to 14 of Chart II. With MC, cast off.
- Sizes 6, 8 and 10 only: Work rows 11 to 20 of Chart II. With MC, cast off.
FINISHING: Pin garment pieces to measurements. Cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.
- Sizes 2 and 4 only: Back neckband: With RS of Back facing, MC and smaller needles, K27 (29) from back st holder, dec 2 sts evenly across. 25 (27) sts.
- ***1st row: (WS). P2. *K1. P1. Rep from * to last st. P1.
- 2nd row: K2. *P1. K1. Rep from * to last st. K1.
- Rep last 2 rows once more, then 1st row once. Cast off in pat.***
- Front neckband: With RS of Front facing, MC and smaller needles, pick up and knit 12 (15) sts down left neck edge. K13 from front st holder, dec 2 sts evenly across. Pick up and knit 12 (15) sts up right neck edge. 35 (41) sts.
- Work from *** to *** as given for Back neckband.
- Buttonhole bands: With RS of Front facing, smaller needles and MC, pick up and knit 23 (25) sts evenly along right shoulder and side edge of neckband.
- 1st to 3rd rows: Work as given for Back neckband.
- 4th row: Rib 5 sts. [yfwd. K2tog. Rib 4 (5) sts] twice. yfwd. K2tog. Rib 4 sts.
- 5th to 7th rows: Work as given for Back neckband. Cast off in pat.
- Rep for left shoulder.
- Button bands: With RS of Back facing, work as given for Buttonhole band, omitting all references to buttonholes.
- Lap Buttonhole bands over Button bands. Sew buttons to correspond to buttonholes.
- Sizes 6, 8 and 10 only: Neckband: Sew right shoulder seam.
- With RS of work facing, MC and smaller needles, pick up and knit (15-15-16) sts down left front neck edge. K(13-17-17) from front st holder, dec 2 sts evenly across. Pick up and knit (15-15-16) sts up right front neck edge. K(29-33-35) from back st holder, dec 1 st at center. (69-77- 81) sts.
- 1st row: (WS). P1. *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
- 2nd row: K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
- Rep last 2 rows twice more, then 1st row once. Cast off in pat.
- Sew right shoulder and neckband seam.
- All sizes: Sew in sleeves, placing rows above markers against cast off sts of armholes to form square armholes. Sew side and sleeve seams.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- The Thinker Dragon Coloring Page
- 18 Sewing Videos to Master Every Knot and Stitch
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page