Knit Christmas Stocking
By: The Designers of Coats and Clark
Hang this adorable knit Christmas stocking pattern from Coats & Clark above your fireplace! It's adorable and fun. You won't be able to get enough of this Knit Christmas Stocking.
- MODA DEA "Washable Wool": 2 Balls No. 4413 Ivory CA, 1 ball each No. 4490 True Red CB and No. 4440 Moss CC.
- Knitting Needles: 4.5mm [US 7] – 14".
- Double Pointed Knitting Needles: 4.5 mm [US 7] – 7".
- 3 Stitch holders; yarn needle.
- Beginning at the top of the sock with 14" needles and CA, cast on 72 sts. Work in K2, P2, ribbing for 14 rows.
- Change to St st, beg K row, until 13 1/2" from beg, end P row.
- Place first 18 sts on a stitch holder, cut CA leaving approximately 6" tail. Reattach CA, K36, slip rem 18 sts to a 2nd stitch holder. Continue St st on the center 36 sts until instep measures 6 1/2", end P row. Dec 1 st at each end of next 2 rows – 32 sts. Place these sts on a 3rd stitch holder. Instep should measure approximately 7".
- Place heel sts (2 st holders that have 18 sts on each) on a needle so that the original side ends of the sock will meet in the middle of your needle, (yes, there will be an open seam in the middle), and also so the first row you will work will have the right side facing you. Attach CB and work as follows:
- Row 1 (Right Side): * Sl 1, K1; rep from * across.
- Row 2: Sl 1, P to end.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until 27 rows in all have been worked for Heel, end right side row. Cut CB, leaving 6" tail.
Turning the Heel-Short Rows-Row 1:
- With wrong side facing and CA, P 1 row.
- Row 2: K23, K2 tog; TURN, leaving rem sts on the needle.
- Row 3: P11, P2 tog; TURN.
- Row 4: K11, K2tog; TURN.
- Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until 13 sts rem, end right side row.
- Note: Each P2tog or K2tog is connecting the bottom of the heel to the side of the heel, thus, “turning the heel”.)
- At this point you should have just finished the last K row of the heel turning. Even though there is 1 st left on the far right to decrease on the purl row back, it is time to pick up sts along the side of the heel.
- With CA, pick up and K14 sts along the side of the heel – 27 sts.
- Row 2: P25, P2tog, pick up and P14 sts on rem side of heel – 40 sts.
- Row 3: K1, sl 1, K1, psso, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1 – 38 sts.
- Row 4: Purl.
- Rep Rows 3 and 4 until 30 sts rem. Work even in St st until this foot bottom is same length as the instep.
- Place the 32 instep sts on one dpn; place 30 sts of heel onto 2 dpn (15 sts each) – 62 sts.
- Rnd 1: With CB beg at instep, K2tog, K28, K2tog, K sts on heel needles – 60 sts.
- Rnd 2: Dec 1 st at each end of the instep needle, dec 1 st at beg of the first heel needle and at the end of the 2nd heel needle – 4 sts decreased.
- Rnd 4: Knit.
- Rep Rnds 3 and 4 until 20 sts rem, end Rnd 3. Cut yarn leaving 8" yarn tail.
- With yarn tail in yarn needle, weave through rem sts, draw up tightly, fasten securely.
- Weave in ends.
- Sew seams.
- With CA cast on 3 sts. Work in K1, P1, rib for 5".
- Bind off.
- Fold in half and attach to top back of stocking.
- Thread yarn needle with CB and duplicate stitch, embroider Chain Pattern 4 rows from the bottom of the sock ribbing.
- With CC, duplicate stitch the Christmas Tree Chart 8 rows below the Chain pattern.
- Repeat the Chain Pattern with CB 8 rows below the last row of the Christmas Tree chart.
- Stocking measures approximately 26" long x 7" wide.
- GAUGE: 19 sts = 4"; 26 rows = 4" in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.
- beg = beginning
- CA, CB, CC = Color A, B, C
- dec = decrease
- dpn = double pointed needle
- inc = increase
- K = knit
- lp(s) = loop(s)
- mm = millimeters
- P = Purl
- pat = pattern
- psso = pass slipped stitch over
- rem = remaining
- rep = repeat
- rnd = round
- sc = single crochet
- sl = slip
- st(s) = stitch (es)
- St st = Stockinette stitch (Knit on right side row; Purl
- on wrong side row)
- tog = together
- * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Christmas Tree Pattern
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts