Traditional Knitted Socks
By: Lorna Miser for Stitch Nation
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Traditional Knitted Socks are not only a fun winter project, but they make a great gift for everyone! These handmade socks from Red Heart Yarn can be made to fit small to large feet and are great for both men and women. You'll never have to buy socks again with this easy knitted pattern!
- “Bamboo Ewe™”: 2 (2, 2, 3) balls 5410 Mercury
- Double Pointed Needles: One set 3.5mm (US 4)
- Stitch holder
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in K2, p2, slightly stretched. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
ssk: slip next two stitches knitwise to right needle, insert point of left needle through front of sts, knit these sts together through back loop.
Grafting: Thread yarn needle with long length of yarn. Hold the two needles in the left hand with wrong sides together. Keeping the yarn needle and yarn under the points of the knitting needles, graft the stitches together as follows:
- Insert yarn needle through first st of front needle as if to knit and slip the st off.
- Insert needle through 2nd st of front needle as if to purl, but leave the st on the needle.
- Insert yarn through first st on back needle as if to purl and slip the st off.
- Insert yarn through 2nd stitch on back needle as if to knit, but leave st on needle. Repeat from * until all the sts are joined. Take care to draw yarn up so that gauge of grafting equals gauge of knitting. Fasten off. Weave in ends on wrong side.
Directions are for size Small (Women’s 5½-7); changes for sizes Medium (Women’s 7½-9 or Men’s 6-8), Large (Women’s 9½-12 or Men’s 8½-11) and X-Large (Men’s 11½-14½) are in parentheses.
- Cast on 40 (44, 48, 52) sts. Divide sts evenly around doublepointed needles. Join to work in rounds, taking care not to twist sts. Place marker for beginning of round.
- Work in K2, p2 rib until piece measures 8” from beg. Knit first st to center K2, p2 rib on Instep.
- NOTE: Heel Flap is worked back and forth in rows.
- Row 1: Turn, slip 1, purl across 19 (21, 23, 25), leave remaining sts unworked for Instep – 20 (22, 24, 26) sts.
- Row 2: [Slip 1, k1] across. Repeat Rows 1-2 for 20 (22, 24, 26) rows.
- Row 1 (Right Side): Slip 1, k11 (12, 13, 14), ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 2: Slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 3: Slip 1, k6, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 4: Slip 1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 5: Slip 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 6: Slip 1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn.
For Small Only:
- Row 7: Slip 1, k10, ssk, turn.
- Row 8: Slip 1, p10, p2tog, turn – 12 sts.
Sizes Medium, Large and X-Large:
- Row 7: Slip 1, k10, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 8: Slip 1, p11, p2tog, p1, turn – (14, 16, 18) sts.
For Large Only:
- Row 9: Slip 1, k12, ssk, turn.
- Row 10: Slip 1, p12, p2tog, turn – 14 sts.
For X-Large Only:
- Row 9: Slip 1, k12, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 10: Slip 1, p13, p2tog, p1, turn – 16 sts.
- With right side facing, knit across 6 (7, 7, 8) sts of Heel, place marker for beginning of round, knit across remaining 6 (7, 7, 8) sts of Heel, pick up and knit 10 (11, 12, 13) sts along side of Heel Flap, place marker for Gusset shaping, work in K2, p2 rib as established across 20 (22, 24, 26) Instep sts, place marker for Gusset shaping, pick up and knit 10 (11, 12, 13) sts along side of Heel – 52 (58, 62, 68) sts.
- Round 1: Knit to 3 sts before first Gusset marker, k2tog, k1, work in rib across Instep sts to next Gusset marker, k1, ssk, knit to end of round – 50 (56, 60, 66) sts.
- Round 2: Knit to Gusset marker, work in rib across Instep sts to next Gusset marker, knit to end of round.
- Repeat Rounds 1-2 for 5 (6, 6, 7) times – 40 (44, 48, 52) sts on last round.
- Keeping Instep sts in rib and sole sts in St st, work until Foot measures 7½ (8½, 9½, 10½)” or 1½” shorter than desired length.
- Decrease Round: [Knit to 3 sts before Gusset marker, k2tog, k2, ssk] twice – 36 (40, 44, 48) sts.
- Repeat Decrease Round 5 (6, 7, 8) times – 16 sts. Divide sts in half and graft together.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Furry Knitted Slippers Pattern
- Grandma's Knitted Slippers
- 16 Free Knitted Slipper Patterns + Knit Slippers for Christmas
- Cozy Knitted Slipper Socks
- Knitted Adirondacks Slipper Socks
- 17 Cozy Crochet and Knit Slipper Patterns
- Easy Knit Slippers
- Simple Slipper Project
- Knit Mary Jane Slippers
- Easy Chunky Knitted Footies
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Purple Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Printable Quote Coloring Sheet
- Imp Hair Hat
- V-Stitch Hats For All
- Celtic Passion Beanie
- Bright and Colorful Loom Knit Hat
- Super Bulky Oversized Messy Bun Hat
- Seashore Messy Bun Hat
- Heart Quartet Mandala Coloring Page
- Short n Sassy Messy Bun Hat