Self Striping Socks Knitting Pattern
By: Red Heart Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate socks knitting pattern features a special yarn which creates the look of stripes without having to change colors. You will want to show off your colorful socks with a cuffed pant. Pattern can be adjusted to fit most foot sizes. For more ideas, visit Red Heart.
Size: Directions are for size 5-5½; changes for sizes (6-6½, 7-7½, 8-8½, 9-9½, 10-10½, 11-11½, 12-12½) are in parentheses.
- Yarn: RED HEART® "Heart & Sole™": 2 (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3) Balls No. 3965 Razzle Dazzle.
- Knitting Needles: Double-pointed Knitting Needles: 2.75mm [US 2].
- Stitch marker
- yarn needle
Gauge:GAUGE: 36 sts = 4"; 48 rnds = 4" in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge
NOTE: Slip all sts as if to purl.
LEG: Cast on 48 (52, 56, 60, 64, 68, 68, 68) sts, dividing sts on 3 needles. Join to work in the round taking care that sts are not twisted.Work in K2, P2 ribbing for 1¼ (1¼, 1½, 1½, 1½, 1¾, 1¾, 1¾)". Now work in St st, K every rnd, until 7 (7, 8, 8, 8 1/2, 9, 9½, 9½)" from beginning.
Divide for Heel: With the 4th needle, K12 (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 17, 17) sts on first needle, slip the same number of sts from 3rd needle onto the opposite end of the 4th needle – 24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 34, 34) sts on 4th needle for Heel. Cut yarn.
Divide the remaining 24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 34, 34) sts evenly onto 2 needles for the Instep to work later.
With wrong side of work facing and working on heel sts only, work as follows:
Row 1 (Wrong Side): Sl 1, P to end.
Row 2: * Sl 1, K1; rep from * across.
Rep Rows 1 and 2 for 2 (2, 2, 2¼, 2¼, 2¼, 2¼)", end by working Row 1.
Turn Heel-Row 1 (Right Side): K14 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19, 19) sts, K2tog, K1; turn.
Row 2: Sl 1, P5, P2tog, P1; turn.
Row 3: Sl 1, K6, K2 tog, K1; turn.
Row 4: Sl 1, P7, P2tog, P1; turn.
Continue in this manner, working 1 st more before the decrease every row until all heel sts have been worked, end by working a K row – 14 (16, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20, 20) sts remain.
Gusset: With the first needle, pick up and K12 (12, 12, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16) sts along edge of heel; slip the Instep sts onto one needle and with the 2nd needle, K24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 34, 34) sts of Instep; with the 3rd needle, pick and K 12 (12, 12, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16) sts along other edge of heel and with same needle K7 (8, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10) sts from heel needle. Slip remaining sts from heel needle onto first needle. There are 19 (20, 20, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26) sts on first and 3rd needles and 24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 34, 34) sts on 2nd needle.
Shape Instep-Rnd 1: K to last 3 sts on first needle, K2tog, K1; K across 2nd needle; on 3rd needle, K1, sl 1, K1, psso, K to end.
Rnd 2: K.
Rep last 2 rnds until 12 (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 17, 17) sts remain on each of the first and 3rd needles. Work even until 4 (4¾, 5½, 6¼, 7¼, 8, 9, 10)" from center back of heel.
Shape Toe-Rnd 1: K to last 3 sts on first needle, K2tog, K1; on 2nd needle, K1, sl 1, psso, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1; on 3rd needle, K1, sl 1, K1, psso, K to end.
Rnd 2: K.
Rep last 2 rnds until 16 sts remain.With 3rd needle, K across sts of first needle – 8 sts on each of 2 needles. Cut yarn leaving a 20" length of yarn.
Graft sts together.
Grafting: Thread needle with yarn. Holding the 2 needles together with yarn at the right of the back needle, draw yarn through next st on front needle as if to purl, leave st on needle,* draw yarn through next st on back needle as if to knit, leave st on needle, draw yarn through same st on front needle as if to knit, drop st off needle, draw yarn through next st on front needle as if to purl, leave st on needle, draw yarn through same st on back needle as if to purl, drop st off needle. Rep from * until all sts are grafted together. Fasten securely on wrong side. Take care to draw yarn up so that gauge of grafting equals gauge of knitted sts.
ABBREVIATIONS: K = knit; mm = millimeters; P = purl; psso = pass the slipped st over; rep = repeat; rnd = round; sl = slip; St st = Stockinette stitch (Knit every round); st(s) = stitch (es); tog = together; * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Grandma's Knitted Slippers
- 16 Free Knitted Slipper Patterns + Knit Slippers for Christmas
- 17 Cozy Crochet and Knit Slipper Patterns
- Cuffed Knitted Slippers Pattern
- Furry Knitted Slippers Pattern
- Easy Knit Slippers
- Simple Slipper Project
- Mom and Me Slippers
- Warm Boot Slippers
- Easy Chunky Knitted Footies
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- The Thinker Dragon Coloring Page
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page
- Bald Eagle Zentangle Coloring Page