Lacy Knee High Socks
By: Kathy Sasser for Red Heart Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
These Lacy Knee High Socks from Red Heart Yarn are so comfy on your feet! Curl up with a good book and put on these handmade socks when the weather takes a nasty turn and you'll be nothing but happy and cozy.
- RED HEART® “Heart & Sole® with Aloe”: 3 Balls 3945 Rustica
- Double Pointed Knitting Needles: One set each 2.25mm [US 1], 3.25mm [US 3], 4mm [US 6] and 4.5mm [US 7]
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 28 sts = 4”; 36 rows = 4” in St st on 3.25mm [US 3] needles. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Directions are for size Woman’s Small Shoe (6-8); changes for sizes Medium (8½-10) and Large (10½-12) are in parentheses.
ssk = slip next two stitches knitwise to right needle, insert point of left needle through front of sts, knit these sts together through back loop.
Short Rows: W&T: Bring yarn to front, slip next st, turn, wrap yarn around slip st and slip same st back onto right-hand needle. On next row, work wrapped st by picking up wrap and working together with st on left-hand needle.
Grafting: Place sts to be grafted onto 2 needles with wrong sides together and with needle points facing to the right. Using yarn needle, insert into first st on front needle as if to purl, leaving st on needle. Insert into first st on back needle as if to knit, leaving st on needle. *Insert into first st on front needle as if to knit, slipping st off needle, then into next st on front needle as if to purl, leaving st on needle. Insert into first st on back needle as if to purl, slipping st off needle, then into next st as if to knit, leaving st on needle. Repeat from * until all sts have been grafted.
Lace Stitch (multiple of 3 sts)
- Round 1: Knit.
- Round 2: K2, *k2tog, yo, k1; repeat from * to last st, k1.
- Round 3: Knit.
- Round 4: K2, *yo, k1, k2tog; repeat from * to last st, k1.
- Repeat Rounds 1-4 for Lace st.
KNEE HIGH (Make 2)
- With 2.25mm [US 1] needles, loosely cast on 78 (84, 86) sts. Divide sts evenly around double-pointed needles, taking care not to twist sts. Place marker for beginning for round.
- Work in K1, p1 rib 15 rounds, decreasing 18 (21, 23) sts evenly spaced on last round – 60 (63, 63) sts.
- Change to 4.5mm [US 7] needles and beginning with Round 1, work in Lace st for 5 rounds.
- Decrease Round: K1, k2tog, work in pattern to last 2 sts, ssk – 58 (61, 61) sts.
- Continue to work in Lace st, repeating Decrease Round every 6th round 4 more times, then every 7th round 2 (3, 2) times – 46 (47, 49) sts.
- Work even until piece measures 13” from beginning, end with even number round.
- Cut yarn.
Shape Heel Flap
- With right side facing, slip last 13 (13, 12) sts and first 12 (13, 13) sts to one 3.25mm [US 3] needle for Heel Flap, removing marker, slip next 21 (21, 24) sts to a stitch holders for Instep.
- Join yarn and using 3.25mm [US 3] needles, knit across 25 (26, 25) sts.
- Increase Row (WS): Slip 1, purl across, increasing 3 (4, 5) sts evenly spaced across – 28 (30, 30) sts.
- Row 1: [Slip 1, k1] across.
- Row 2: Slip 1, purl across. Repeat last 2 rows until 28 rows have been worked.
- Row 1 (RS): K16 (17, 17), ssk, k1, W&T.
- Row 2: Slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1, W&T.
- Row 3: Slip 1, k6, ssk, k1, W&T.
- Row 4: Slip 1, p7, p2tog, p1, W&T.
- Row 5: Slip 1, k8, ssk, k1, W&T.
- Row 6: Slip 1, p9, p2tog, p1, W&T.
- Row 7: Slip 1, k10, ssk, k1, W&T.
- Row 8: Slip 1, p11, p2tog, p1, W&T.
- Row 9: Slip 1, k12, ssk, k1, W&T.
- Row 10: Slip1, p13, p2tog, p1, W&T.
- Row 11: Slip 1, k14, ssk, k0 (1, 1), W&T.
- Row 12: Slip 1, p14 (15, 15), p2tog, p0 (1, 1), turn – 16 (18, 18) sts.
Sizes Medium And Large Only
- Row 13: Slip 1, k15, k2tog, turn.
- Row 14: Slip 1, p14, p2tog, turn – 16 sts.
- Next Round: With right side facing and 3.25mm [US 3] needles, knit 16 sts from Heel Flap, pick up and knit 14 sts along side edge of Heel Flap, place marker for Gusset, using 4mm [US 6] needles, work across 21 (21, 24) sts from Instep stitch holders, place marker for Gusset, using 3.25mm [US 3] needles, pick up and knit 14 sts along opposite edge of Heel Flap, knit first 8 sts and place marker for beginning of round – 65 (65, 68) sts.
- Keep needles as established with Heel sts worked in St st on 3.25mm [US 3] needles and Instep sts worked in Lace st on 4mm [US 6] needles.
- Decrease Round: Work to 3 sts before first Gusset marker k2tog, k1, work to next Gusset marker, k1, ssk, work to end of round – 63 (63, 66) sts.
- Repeat Decrease Round every other round 7 (6, 6) more times – 49 (51, 54) sts.
- Work until Foot measures 7½ (8, 9)” from Heel.
- Next Round: With 3.25mm [US 3] needles, k14 (15, 15) sts, place marker for Toe, continuing with same size needle, knit across next 21 (21, 24) sts, increasing 7 (9, 6) sts evenly spaced across, place marker for Toe, k14 (15, 15) sts – 56 (60, 60) sts.
- Decrease Round: Knit to 3 sts before first Toe marker, k2tog, k2, ssk, knit to 3 sts before next marker, k2tog, k2, ssk, work to end round – 52 (56, 56) sts.
- Working in St st on all sts, repeat Decrease Round every other round 4 (5, 5) more times – 36 sts.
- Then repeat Decrease Round every round 5 (4, 4) times – 16 (20, 20) sts.
- Divide sts in half on 2 needles and graft sts together.
- Weave in ends
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe