These knitted Adirondacks slipper socks made with a Fair Isle knitting make for a great gift or are cozy to keep and wear around the house. These knitting instructions make this seemingly complex design a cinch!
Finished Slipper Tube Socks fit Women’s Shoe Size 6-7½ (8-8½, 9-10).
Directions are for size Small; changes for sizes Medium and Large are in parentheses.
Slipper Tube Socks measure: 8¾ (9½, 9½)” circumference.
- “Full o’ Sheep™”: 1 ball each 2925 Passionfruit A, 2260 Clementine B, 2640 Thyme C and 2350 Hazelnut D.
- Double Pointed Knitting Needles: 1 set each 4.5mm [US 7] and 5mm [US 8].
- 1 set size 9½ (10, 10½)” Suede Soles from Somerset Designs (www.somersetdesigns.com and www.shopredheart.com).
- Yarn needle, straight pins.
20 sts = 4”; 24 rounds = 4” in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.
Ssk = Slip next 2 sts knitwise, one at a time to right needle; insert point of left needle into the fronts of these 2 sts and knit them together from this position.
A, B , C, D = colors A, B, C, D; k = knit
mm = millimeters
p = purl
st(s) = stitch(es)
St st = Stockinette
stitch (k every round)
tog = together
* or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated.
“Full o’ Sheep™” Art. T100 available in 3.5 oz (100 g); 155 yd (142 m) balls. (Size 4 Medium)
Slipper Tube Socks (Make 2)
With smaller needles and D, cast on 44 (48, 48) sts. Divide sts among 3 needles as follows: Needle 1: 11 (12, 12) sts; Needle 2: 22 (24, 24) sts; Needle 3: 11 (12, 12) sts. Place marker for beginning of round and join, being careful not to twist sts. Work in K1, p1 rib for 2 (2¼, 2½)”.
Begin Fair Isle Pattern Leg
Change to larger needles, and knit Rounds 1 – 32 from chart repeating the pattern until piece measures 16 (16½, 17½)” from beginning.
Continue in D only and shape toe as follows: Next Round: Needle 1: K to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; Needle 2: K1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; Needle 3: K1, ssk, k to end. Repeat
last round three times more–28 (32, 32) sts Next Round: With needle 3, k across sts on needle 1–14 (16, 16) sts on each of 2 needles. Cut yarn and leave long tail for grafting toe sts together.
Thread yarn needle with remaining yarn. Hold the two needles with wrong sides together. Keeping the yarn needle and yarn under the points of the knitting needles, graft the stitches together as follows:
- Insert yarn needle through first st of front needle as if to knit and slip the st off.
- Insert needle through 2nd st of front needle as if to purl, but leave the st on the needle.
- Insert yarn through first st on back needle as if to purl and slip the st off.
- Insert yarn through 2nd stitch on back needle as if to knit, but leave st on needle. Repeat from * until all the sts are joined. Take care to draw yarn up so that gauge of grafting equals gauge of knitting. Fasten off. Weave in yarn ends.
Carefully pin suede soles to bottom of slippers. With D sew in place using a blanket stitch.